Win7 or new CPU

photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
edited November 2009 in Hardware
Upgrading my current system in stages until I can move to an i7, (or i9 when they come out next year)

Just upgraded the mobo on my HP m8200n to an GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2H

Now I'm considering either getting Win7 64bit or upgrading my dual core AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ to a Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

I'm leaning towards Win7 since I'm on Vista 32bit now.

The cost is nearly the same, and both upgrades will happen at some point. But which should I do first?

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The 965BE is a HUGE step up in processing terms. I'd make that move first and get Win7 later.

On the other hand, buying Windows 7 now is pretty sound since we won't see price drops for the OS any time soon. The 965BE doesn't offer that luxury. It'll be cheaper the longer you wait, and for the same money something faster will take its place. If you don't need the raw power at this very moment, you might be better served financially by getting Win7 first.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I did almost the exact same upgrade as you: went from an Athlon 64 6000+ to a Phenom II X4 810, and MAN what a difference. Based on your username, I'm going to assume you do photography; I use DxO Optics Pro and Photoshop, and both are a great deal faster with the Phenom II than they were with the A64.

Still, you're going to want Windows 7 ASAP. It's also an incredible upgrade.

Welcome to Icrontic :)
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    @Prime, Call me Walt....I finally joined..... nice to know the phenom II is big step up....I agree moving to Win7 is a need to do soon. The big question is which to go for first, which is going to give the best performance in the short term....it sounds like the CPU might be the best performance in the short term but will have a bigger diminishment in value over all.
    edited November 2009
    You nailed it Walt. So it really comes down to what you're willing to pay and if you're willing to wait.
    edited November 2009
    @Buddyj in the full plan to wait, I plan on waiting for the i9 or 8-xeon and PCIe3 mobo's....for now it's a what can I get by with, what should I upgrade to extend function until the other stuff is available.

I could also add consideration of upgrading Ram from DDR2-667 to DDR2-800 or DDR2-1060, But I'm thinking the RAM is a diminishing return vs performance.
    edited November 2009
    How much memory does your computer currently have? 4GB of DDR2-1066 is a good place to start before doing anything else.
    edited November 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    How much memory does your computer currently have?

4GB DDR2 667 in dual channel (2x2GB)

would I really see a big difference in performance going to 4GB1066?

I think my motherboard, GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2, only supports one dimm of 1066 per channel due to a AMD CPU limitation, which kills the advantages of dual channel memory.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    photodude wrote:
    Upgrading my current system in stages until I can move to an i7, (or i9 when they come out next year)

Just upgraded the mobo on my HP m8200n to an GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2H

Now I'm considering either getting Win7 64bit or upgrading my dual core AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ to a Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

I'm leaning towards Win7 since I'm on Vista 32bit now.

The cost is nearly the same, and both upgrades will happen at some point. But which should I do first?

I would just caution you that if you are thinking you may want to do a new build altogether at some point make sure you buy a full retail license that you can install on new hardware later on.

As to what others have said I am using a 965 BE and its a huge leap forward in terms of processing capability compared to your 6000+ which certainly is a respectable dual core.

What is your main computing objective? What kind of jobs are you hoping to accelerate?
    edited November 2009
    What is your main computing objective? What kind of jobs are you hoping to accelerate?

I'm looking at achieving less lag with adobe Lightroom when using the local adjustment brush. Less lag in photoshop when working in liquefy or working on large files. and my Wife wants to work in Revit MEP without too much rendering lag.

As for win 7 I would have to get a full version and do a fresh install as my current system is 32bit and I'll be moving to 64bit....I was thinking about the OEM/system builders route to get a copy.
    edited November 2009
    Gotcha. The 965BE will give you the biggest boost in performance. Switching to DDR2-1066 would only be a minor upgrade unless you're planning on overclocking.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    photodude wrote:
    I think my motherboard, GIGABYTE|GA-MA785GM-US2, only supports one dimm of 1066 per channel due to a AMD CPU limitation, which kills the advantages of dual channel memory.
    You can still run Dual Channel (1 dimm per channel, meaning you just can't run 4 sticks at 1066) with 1066 ram, you just need 2 x 2GB.

If your apps use lots of ram (from the sounds of things, you definitely do) then I recommend 8GB of 800 ram. 8GB at 800 compared to 4GB at 1066 with the apps you are talking about would simply scream. The extra 4GB would prevent paging which is the biggest bottleneck in a system right now. Extra ram (even if it was running 533 MHz) is 1000 times faster than your HDD.
    edited November 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    You can still run Dual Channel (1 dimm per channel, meaning you just can't run 4 sticks at 1066) with 1066 ram, you just need 2 x 2GB.

If your apps use lots of ram (from the sounds of things, you definitely do) then I recommend 8GB of 800 ram. 8GB at 800 compared to 4GB at 1066 with the apps you are talking about would simply scream. The extra 4GB would prevent paging which is the biggest bottleneck in a system right now. Extra ram (even if it was running 533 MHz) is 1000 times faster than your HDD.

I agree. More RAM instead of faster makes allot of sense, keep in mind you would have to upgrade to the 64 bit OS first.

On the topic of AMD Quad Cores, keep in mind that that newegg still has the 955 model which is close to eqivilant for about $25 less. Its not a giant savings, but if budget is a limiting factor I think its probably the better deal.
    edited November 2009
    Ok, to recap the discussion
    the 965BE would give the biggest boost to raw processing abilities

More Ram is better then faster, but would require moving to a 64bit OS (my wife just got 4GB extra on her work system now at 8GB on 64bit vista....no noticeable change in lag in Revit MEP....I question if this is a good route to go, or if the work she does causes Revit to still hit the paging file with 8GB of ram...how to test if the paging file is the issue, or if CPU or GPU processing is the issue)

64bit win7 is a necessary upgrade at some point, and before more ram.

still leaves open the question of which is better, 32bit vista or 64bit win7 on a dual core???

and leaves open the question of Quad core vs dual core on 32bit vista?? (ok maybe not fully open as the 965BE rocks but how much less does it rock in 32bit?)

the final question is 64bit win7 on a dual core vs 32bit vista on a 965BE? (mostly answered, since the 965BE is a power house compared to the A64 6000+)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    64bit win7 all the way.... Not other thinking is needed
    edited November 2009
    64bit win7 all the way.... Not other thinking is needed

Sledgehammer70, do you want to justify your point of view?
    edited November 2009
    photodude wrote:
    Ok, to recap the discussion

More Ram is better then faster, but would require moving to a 64bit OS (my wife just got 4GB extra on her work system now at 8GB on 64bit vista....no noticeable change in lag in Revit MEP....I question if this is a good route to go, or if the work she does causes Revit to still hit the paging file with 8GB of ram...how to test if the paging file is the issue, or if CPU or GPU processing is the issue)

64bit win7 is a necessary upgrade at some point, and before more ram.

still leaves open the question of which is better, 32bit vista or 64bit win7 on a dual core???

and leaves open the question of Quad core vs dual core on 32bit vista?? (ok maybe not fully open as the 965BE rocks but how much less does it rock in 32bit?)

the final question is 64bit win7 on a dual core vs 32bit vista on a 965BE? (mostly answered, since the 965BE is a power house compared to the A64 6000+)

My honest opinion having used Vista 32 and 64 and Windows 7 64. Windows 7 is worth every single dime of the upgrade price. As an enthusiast your going to want a 64 bit OS, to eventually address more RAM and leverage 64 bit optimized software. At some point, Windows 7 64 bit is a no brainier. Will the software itself speed up your power tasks? Probably not by much, but its just a leaner better optimized Windows experience, everything about 7 is better than Vista. At this early stage it might even be worth considering a full retail license, just in case you want to rebuild down the road.

The thing is, the software will likely hold its price, but CPU's constantly depreciate, so if you hold off a little on that you might get a better deal.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I second (edit: now 3rd) Win7 64 bit.

Windows 7 is the way forward, so is 64-bit, why invest in anything else? You are limited to 4GB of ram (and you won't even see/use all of that) with anything 32-bit (XP, Vista, or 7).

You have already talked about using some heavy hitting programs, there is just no reason to get any other OS, in my opinion.

In less than 2 years, EVERYTHING is going to be aimed at 64-bit.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    RyderOCZ made my argument
    edited November 2009
    Ok in conclusion I think we have a consensus on the following:

64bit-Win7 would give minor performance advantages, but is the way forward.

looks like most people are recommending 64bit-Win7

I have one issue with 64bit-Win7, Photoshop and Revit are not yet certified for 64bit-Win7 only Lightroom is certified. I could try running the uncertified programs in XP-mode or just accept any potential issues.....seems there is as many questions as there are answers to this issue.
    edited November 2009
    Looks to me like there aren't any issues running Photoshop or Revit under Win 7. You shouldn't have to fiddle with compatibility modes.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Photodude: I've successfully (without issues) run Photoshop CS2, CS3 and CS4 on Windows 7 x64. I've been using 7 x64 since February, and CS3 every day, and I've never had so much as a hiccup.

I don't think you'll have any issues with Revit, either.
    edited November 2009
    I use Photoshop CS3 daily as part of my main workflow. I use Windows 7 64bit.

The days "64bit not working with stuff" are long gone.
    edited November 2009
    Thrax, Prime, Thanks for sharing your experience....that clears up any concern about win7 compatibility with software. I'll have to run the win7 upgrade evaluation tool to check my hardware. (although a friend said there are no 64bit drivers for Palm devices)

BuddyJ, thanks for your input on the compatibility question.

Now for a decision on the $200 question.....I'm still torn.....the new CPU let's me rebuild my old mobo into a decent (but large) netdesk for just surfing and other office stuff.....

ok I've thought it through.....I'll do the CPU upgrade.
    Then I'll sell off all my old computers until I have enough for win7 and maybe some more Ram.

Any one interested in any of the following....Off to craigslist and ebay they will go

AMD Athalon 900Mhz, 768 sdram, Ecc|K7VZA motherboard, AGP Ati Rage 128 (no hd)

P4b 1.6 GHz, 768 MB DDR, AGP ATI radeon 7000, Asus|P4B266 motherboard with 80GB HD and win2k

Dell Precision 530 Workstation, Single Xeon 1.8 GHz, 512MB ECC Rimm Ram, Geforce4 440 AGP8x 200GB HD and winxp Pro

Dell Precision 530 Workstation, Two Xeon 1.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB ECC Rimm Ram, Nvidia Quardo2 Pro with 180GB HD and winxp Pro
    edited November 2009
    You can make a thread in our Deal Depot, but honestly, you're better off trying craigslist/ebay