Not Really a Mod but definately cooling.

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited November 2009 in Hardware
OK so one of the computers at my work is an old Pentium 2 running win 98 and is used for monitoring hardware on site.

It had a really clever design utilising only one fan. The PSU sits in the middle of the case above the CPU with a fan at the on the PSU intake. The heatsink has no fan but there is some plastic ducting that sits on top of the heatsink and the air is forced up to the intake on the PSU and out through the back of the case.

That fan had broken and so the PC kept shutting down as it was overheating. Now the company I work for wouldn't just buy and fit a new fan, they would have needed to get the whole PC replaced or something else ridiculous so I offered to bodge it!

I had an old PSU at home which I was about to chuck out and that had two fans in it. The actual PSU was a different size so I had to open up both PSUs take out a fan from mine and fit it in the work PC. No Problem?

Firstly the 12v and earth on the fan were hard wired inside the PSU. I had no soldering iron. The yellow monitor wire and an earth went outside the PSU to a 3pin plug. So I cut the wires to the PSU then cut one of the earth wires off to extend the 12v line which I pushed into the 3 pin plug then taped the whole thing together!
attachment.php?attachmentid=27839&d=1258405897

Next I found that the fan was a different size! So I had to make a card board gasket and I ended up having to secure it in place with more tape! I put the whole thing back together and it all works perfectly! Check out the pics! top bodging with nothing more than a philips screw driver a scalpel some tape and card!
attachment.php?attachmentid=27841&stc=1&d=1258406051
attachment.php?attachmentid=27840&stc=1&d=1258406051