disabling dual-channel(p.s. hello my name is...)

smooresmoore WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW?
edited November 2009 in Hardware
hello my name is Seth I'm kind of a new person to the building community and have just built my first computer and it was great...for a while anyway then I realised a 3.2 quad core needed a little more than 2gb of ram for intensive gaming anyway my freind who works on other computers offers me ddr3 from someone who bought it instead of ddr2 but the problem is now I have one 2gb stick and two 1gb sticks so now my computer wont even start with all of them in but either way I have 2 gb of ram constantly overheating so is thier any way to disable dual channle if not in the bios should i check for a bios update or just pray.or dose any one know a program to disable dreaded dual channel...

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Tell us a bit more about the system.

What motherboard are you using?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Enter your system BIOS and select the option to run your memory "ganged" sometimes this option will be listed as "auto"
  • smooresmoore WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW?
    edited November 2009
    Enter your system BIOS and select the option to run your memory "ganged" sometimes this option will be listed as "auto"

so memory ganged is the same as as dual channel I will have to try disablig that and get back to you thanks
    edited November 2009
    Ganged and Unganged are both Dual Channel.

You get Dual channel by placing the ram in the appropriate slots on the motherboard.

What motherboard is this and why would you want to disable it?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    smoore wrote:
    so memory ganged is the same as as dual channel I will have to try disablig that and get back to you thanks

No, its not really dual channel but it is a setting that has been known to bork a boot from time to time. I would see what it says currently, switch it, give it a try.
    edited November 2009
    OK it had unganged memory disabled switched that nothing... so to RyderOCZ my motherboard is a msi NF750-g55 and I want to disable dual channel because I have a 2gb stck and two 1b sticks and I need all four gigs...slightly off note but the 2 1gbs are kingston and the 2gb is crucial might that be the problem?
    also I have no more money or I would buy another crucial 2gb

it is something with the ram because right now I am using it fine after taking out the two one gb
    edited November 2009
    You have a 2GB stick of DDR3 and 2 x 1GB of DDR2? Is that correct?

If you have 3 sticks of DDR3, then put 1GB in the slot closest to the CPU (black) then put the 2GB stick in the next slot (black) then put the other 1 GB stick in the third slot (blue).

That should balance the channels and give you 4GB of ram.
    edited November 2009
    I tried this but will try again I geuss
    edited November 2009
    Do you have 3 sticks of DDR3?
    edited November 2009
    I found the problems I figured maybe one of the two 1 gb are dead so I tested them and one by itself the computer wouldn't start it the other says its a two gb stick in bios so appearety my freinds freind bought two 2gb sticks but now I dont know what to do with the third stick that I couldnt get to work

which is weird because if it dose not work wouldn't the channels even out.
    2+0-=2 and 2+2-2=2