Overclocking Atempt resulted in lower performance?

photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
edited November 2009 in Hardware
I just put a new motherboard in my system as the start of a few minor upgrades to my system. since the new motherboard has some Easy Overclocking tools and software I thought I would try it out. Gigabyte has something called "Easy tune" that runs some test to auto overclock a system. I ran the test which took all night and never finished, so I canceled the test and rebooted. (all done on 32bit vista)

the last few days I've been installing 64bit-Win7 and some of my software. my system didn't seem very snappy. I ran CPUZ to see what integrated video I had to grab OpenCL drivers (OpenCL is not supported by the video on the mobo)

as soon as CPUZ opened I noticed my CPU speed was down to 1Ghz :confused2
I should be at a stock 3Ghz :eek2: I checked the memory speed and it too was way down....clear down to 200Mhz It should be at 667Mhz :mad2: :confused2:eek2:

CPU temp seems fine holding at 30C capping at 41C CPU-fanspeed is about 2500rpm (I'm a noob to watching temp, fanspeed and overclocking so I think it's fine)

In my paranoia, I reapplied the thermal grease (arctic silver 5) Changed from my traditional spread method to the manufactures recommendation for my CPU rice grain method, after a careful cleaning. With no change in CPU temp, Ghz or fanspeed after reapplication.

I'm wondering if something has been damaged on my system in the easy tune testing. any ideas?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Uninstall Easy Tune and reboot. The program can't damage anything or alter any settings at the hardware level.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    You are seeing the results of Speedstep/CoolNquiet (not sure if you have AMD or Intel).
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    it's an AMD athlon64x2 6000+

Easy Tune is uninstalled... no change
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    It's only speedstep or coolnquiet if it clocks back up under load. If the proc is staying at 1GHz when subjected to activity, there's a problem somewhere.

photodude, does the CPU speed jump in CPU-Z if you start a benchmark like prime95, or does it stay low?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, if EasyTune is uninstalled, then the processor is just being throttled through various power states to conserve energy. The CPU will immediately run at its full speed if a demand is placed on the chip; if it is not behaving this way then, yes, something is wrong.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    Tried Prime 95 and the numbers jumped back up. (and right back down to 1Ghz once prime95 was turned off) Thanks, It's nice to know my system didn't bite the dust.

The memory speed only went to 334.8Mhz ....which on reflection I think is correct for DDR2-667 memory

I'll have to install easy tune again and see where I can push this machine to.