I have VGA to RCA and S-Video To RCA Jack And Can't Connect Laptop To TV

edited December 2009 in Hardware
I been trying to connect my Laptop to my TV for a while now but can't get it to work. I have a VGA to RCA adapter and an S-Video to RCA jack adapter but neither works.

The TV has an S-Video in, the laptop has S-Video out but I only have the S-Video out cable for the laptop that turns to an RCA jack...

Neither of the 2 cables I have work, I been messing around with the settings but nothing, I've been reading around and seen in some places that I might need software to get it to work? I'm not sure so this is why I come here, is there anything that I can do to get this to work?

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited December 2009
    OK I am going to take a stab in the dark here.

Laptops are not like desktops. The external VGA port has to be enabled on the laptop. Plug all the cables in and make sure that your TV is set to the right input.

Then hold down the Function (FN) key (should be next to the windows key) and press one of the F keys. On my laptop it is F4 but it varries between models. The correct one should have a logo that looks like a monitor and or a computer in blue.

This turns on the VGA output and turns off the monitor. It will usually have three modes. Laptop screen only, Laptop screen and VGA and VGA Only. When ever you boot the laptop will look for any load on the VGA port and if none is detected it turns off the VGA. Presumably to save power.