Haven't gotten all my parts for the new computer and I'm modding it already.

godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
edited November 2009 in Hardware
...well the case and half the parts have been here since last Tuesday. Of course I couldn't wait to play with stuff so I moved my old system into the new case just to see how things would work.

The case is a Cooler Master HAF-922.

I noticed one issue already. They did a good job by putting fine-mesh screens in behind the perforated metal grille sections and drive bay covers in the front. However, the side vent pulls in a good bit of air through honeycomb openings a bee (and large bits of fuzzy dust) could climb in through... can't have that.

The side cover is large enough to accommodate a standard 16"x20"x1" furnace filter, and the metal stamping is such that the small vent area would permit airflow to almost the entire filter surface area. That's do-able with a filter frame from the HVAC supply shop and some double-sided foam automotive badge tape from the auto parts store.

But I didn't do that. (It might be tricky getting the side panel to engage and slide back on the case...)

Instead I made a license plate holder-type arrangement out of acrylic to hold some general-purpose window A/C filter foam in place.

I also made some 1/8" spacers out of an extra soap dispenser pick-up straw to tighten the screws against so that the assembly wouldn't crush the foam.

My acrylic skills need work. Right now I use a standard 3/32" twist drill in a Dremel with router attachment... it works well enough to get things done, but it can still end up looking crappy. Good thing this isn't visible.

Only large openings left are around the top exhaust fan. I haven't thought about what to do with that yet.