slipstream/SATA driver question

edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
Since my internet computer got hit with a virus bomb last Friday and I spent a day and a half reinstalling software, I thought I'd finally follow my own advice to others and make a backup. Then I found the article on slipstreaming, and thought it might save me some time, and be a handy thing to have. I tried to follow the article (quite well done, btw), but I hit a snag on the driver repository link when looking for SATA drivers for my disks. The link didn't work. So I did a little digging, and I'm not sure now if I look for the drivers I need on this site, the site of the drive manufacturers, or the site of the motherboard manufacturer. My system (Dell Optiplex GX620) has 2 SATA disks, a Samsung Spinpoint P80 (SP1614C, 160GB, boot drive), and a Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 (HDS728080PLA380, secondary drive). It also has a 500GB IDE drive, but that shouldn't be an issue in this scenario. ANy suggestions/advice? Thanks.

I should mention that I was building the slipstream disk on another computer; should I be doing it on the machine with the SATA drives, and if so, would the drivers needed be found by the software?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    The link in our article has been corrected: http://icrontic.com/downloads/slipstream_windows_xp_drivers

:)
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll have a look and try the process one more time.
  • edited November 2009
    Okay, I've got the file. Now what? How do I know which files I need for my drives?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The original article you were following details what drivers apply to which chipsets.
  • edited November 2009
    Sorry; when I opened the folders extracted from your archive, I first looked in the AMD folder and saw all the subfolders. I looked a little further, and I believe that, if my chipset is Intel, I only need those files in the Intel folder.

Thanks again.
  • Thrax I've Tried the link you provided; it no longer work. could you check and provide working link. Thanks.