Video Editing Machine $600 budget

edited December 2009 in Hardware
A co-worker of mine was asking questions about building a new machine for video editing. He currently has a P4 machine with a 540w psu that he's hoping to just replace the proc, mobo, ram and video card (and probably the HDD). So I told him I'd ask the awesome Icrontic community for advice on where is $600 would be best spent. As I've not done any video editing, I wanted to account for any difference between that and a pure gaming rig.

Also if it matters, he's planning on using Adobe Premiere Elements.

Thanks,

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    People worry about specifics with editing machines - it really isn't that important unless you plan on doing really high level broadcast or film stuff. It's mostly about software, and all about stability.

RAM plays the biggest part in editing - especially with HD. The GPU is probably second best. Proc needs to be fast, but it doesn't have to be Godlike, as there isn't a TON of calculation going on.

That being said, I'd still recommend a quad core processor. At the pricepoint of today, it'd be foolish to not go with one. Big L2 is going to be preferred, but not necessary.

At LEAST 4 gigs of RAM, but if I were building an editing box, I'd shoot for 8. And go DDR3.

GPU, if they have the funds, a workstation GPU would do well, and if they're planning on outputing to a studio monitor, or doing some serious broadcast work, they could then grab an SDI module for monitor output and sync. I doubt any of that is necessary though, and that's beyond $600 by itself anyways.

Just grab as fast a GPU as the money can do. Again, nothing really specific here, just speed.

Oh, and a fast harddrive. Nonlinear editors pass MASSIVE files at render and output times. Faster HDD will improve performance.

Hope that helps
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I noticed a significant improvement in my Adobe Premiere Elements 7 experience when I switched to a modern video card.

While CPU will help with overall render times, a good workstation video card might help a lot with the actual timeline scrubbing/editing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Timely news:

http://tech.icrontic.com/news/nvidia-intros-three-new-quadros/

Perhaps that Quadro FX 380 might be a good fit.
  • edited December 2009
    Very nice. I appreciate the input. I'll pass along the recommendations.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    Sorry to jump on this late, but here is my recommendation.

Take a quad-core system - stock or custom built and add this card to it
    QuadroFX580 ($190) (lowest with a 30 bit engine and output)

This will push you over the $600 mark by about $200

Really a fair video editing system will cost you closer to $1000 for something with an i7 processor and about 6-9GB of ram (hp has some in that range in their elite line, or you could custom build for around the same)

a minimum level system I feel ok about recommending but not a big endorser of (still add the Quadrofx580)
    combo deal On Newegg For $635
    SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body LC20B-M ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
    AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX - Retail
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2T1K2/4G - Retail
    ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    LITE-ON Black BD-COMBO SATA Model ihes108-29 - OEM
    Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified ... - Retail
    Original Price: $757.94
    Discount: -$123.46
    Combo Price: $634.48