New computer finally together. No DHCP, No Internet, other issues too.

godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
edited December 2009 in Hardware
Well everything went together just fine and I have Windows 7 x64 installed.

This is with a brand new Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 motherboard.

Problem 1. Neither of the onboard Realtek RTL8111D controllers will work properly with DHCP enabled, defaulting to a Windows private IP addy. (they send packets but report that they receive nothing) Updated driver to latest version on Realtek's site. no change.

Problem 2. Manually setting the IP address within the range designated by the router results in LAN connectivity, but no internet. (i.e. I can see and open shared files on the network)

Problem 3. The Linksys LNE100TX PCI cards (a.k.a. 'Plan B') I have knocking around apparently don't have Vista or Win 7 drivers, and the one driver link I found for the Infineon version of the card is dead.

Problem 4. Trying to change the LAN settings or use the diagnostics in the BIOS. I hit Del on POST, it says 'Prepare to enter setup' and breezes right on by, loading the Intel RAID boot ROM and other things, and continues booting.

That is really disconcerting.

Additionally, I installed Win 7 Monday night/Tuesday morning and it needs activated...

I don't like Win 7 much. Partly because of this and partly because it's like looking at the side of a box of laundry detergent. Ugh.

Comments

• godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
    edited December 2009
    Problems 1 and 2... onboard nics work when directly plugged into the cable modem. Looks like I need a new (read: up to date) router.

Problem 4... apparently if I whack Delete enough times it will go into the BIOS, after going through all three RAID/SATA controller BIOS initializations first. we-e-e-eird.

New problem. with the Corsair VX650 PSU I can see the case fans buck a couple times when I press the power button like it's having a hard time starting up, and it won't post. It sits there with the fans turning and LEDs on doing nothing...until I push reset. Then it beeps once and runs fine.

I thought we had gotten past quirky stuff like this. This is so...1999, but with faster hardware with smaller parts.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    What router?

The raid/sata controller initiations must be done if they are reporting info to the bios. If you're not using some of the controllers, you could disable them in the bios to speed up boot time.
    edited December 2009
    D-link DI-524. Ancient firmware and the one update it had only made it continuously restart when enabling security on the wireless.

I'm going to stop by wally world on my way home from work and see if they have anything that isn't too scary.
    edited December 2009
    Looks like I got it fixed now (knock on wood). Picked up a Linksys WRT120N, configured it, and also now have Wireless-N on the lappy.

The router wouldn't get an IP address from the cable modem for anything until I cloned the MAC address from my really old LNE100TX in the old box. LOL.

I still have the odd issue of no-post-unless-reset-is-pushed...something to keep an eye on, and not really that big of a deal.