How do you replace a 8800GT?

DraikeDraike South Africa
edited December 2009 in Hardware
I have an Nvidia 8800GT well overclocked and it use to be awesome.
But now, Im starting to see that its fallen badly behind with some new games.
Crysis Warhead - motion blur has to be off.
Prototype doesnt run well at full resolutions.

So now the question.
What card do I buy to replace my 8800GT.

I have roughly $264 = ZAR2000.

My PC specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2200 @ 3.3GHz Thermaltake Cooling
4 GB DDR2 800 Kingston
160GB Western Digital
8800GT Nvidia (overclocked)
Gigabyte G31 - 2DSC Dual Bios (overclocker)
Gigabyte PSU 460W
Running Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    depends what store you can buy it from out there. What retailers do you have near by?
  • DraikeDraike South Africa
    edited December 2009
    To be honest? Many. Too many. The price range I fall under allows me to buy a GTS250 or an HD4870.

So many stories attatched to these 2 cards. I myself now haven't a clue which one.
    If either of them is any good.
    Nvidia drivers are easy and stable - their cards are reliable and stock coolers are good. But only have GDDR3 available.
    ATI have driver issues and software doesnt compete with Nvidia.
    But they come with GDDR5 and they are band for buck.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    The old nvidia drivers good/ATI drivers bad myth is deader than a doornail. The 4870 is a superior card, but that amount of dosh in USD is easily good for a Radeon 5770 (best choice for this budget) or a GTX 275 (no dx11, but faster overall).
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Draike wrote:
    To be honest? Many. Too many. The price range I fall under allows me to buy a GTS250 or an HD4870.

So many stories attatched to these 2 cards. I myself now haven't a clue which one.
    If either of them is any good.
    Nvidia drivers are easy and stable - their cards are reliable and stock coolers are good. But only have GDDR3 available.
    ATI have driver issues and software doesnt compete with Nvidia.
    But they come with GDDR5 and they are band for buck.

Honestly Draike, you sound like a serious gamer to me, I would save my pennies for a 5850. Your budget nearly has you there. The 5850 is a mildly cut down version of ATI's best performing chip. Tremendously popular, so much so that the price has gone up a bit. Still $310 gets you there, and by the sounds of it your a pretty serious PC gamer, I think anything less would be a compromise that might just cost you more down the road.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857&cm_re=5850-_-14-102-857-_-Product
    edited December 2009
    Why a 5850 and not a GTX275?
    I know Im getting picky but I dont REALLY wanna leave nvidia.

You know, you smoke marlboro and then your offerd a dunhill??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Because the 5850 is 30-50% faster in every title.

ATI is far and away the better manufacturer at the moment.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    There's no compelling reason to stick with NVIDIA at your price range. ATI is leagues beyond NVIDIA in performance right now.
    edited December 2009
    **SIGH**
    Thats what my lan buddies tell me. I guess if 100 people say ATI and 5 say nvidia, then its settled.

SON, I AM DISAPPOINT. lmfao

Thanks guys - will probably go for the suggested 5850.
  • edited December 2009
    Draike wrote:
    **SIGH**
    Thats what my lan buddies tell me. I guess if 100 people say ATI and 5 say nvidia, then its settled.

SON, I AM DISAPPOINT. lmfao

Thanks guys - will probably go for the suggested 5850.

Just to make your decision easier, another ATI endorsement here.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    +1 for ATI - with Fermi still on the construction tables, the Radeon 5000 series are the only cost-effective choice in terms of both performance and price/performance.
    edited December 2009
    Im gona hold onto my alpfa dog card for a little longer. . . 1 - to save up enough, 2 - incase something really spectacular pops up on the graphics market.

But one thing is for sure, the xfx alfa dog xxx 8800gt was one of the best cards ever made.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Draike wrote:
    Im gona hold onto my alpfa dog card for a little longer. . . 1 - to save up enough, 2 - incase something really spectacular pops up on the graphics market.

But one thing is for sure, the xfx alfa dog xxx 8800gt was one of the best cards ever made.

In case something spectacular pops up would be the Radeon 58xx line,

Your correct, the 8800gt "was"...;)