RAID 1 failure

otesterotester UK
edited December 2009 in Hardware
I have two 1TB drivers setup in (hardware) RAID 1.

After changing PC cases, the 2nd one was accidently left unlugged (power).

How do I resync the drives from the 1st one?

I have them both hooked up to a Sapphire 790GX motherboard.

Many thanks,

otester

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    You should be able to rebuild the raid through your raid commands. If it's raid 1 the good drive will be the active one then say you want to mirror it to the second drive that's gotten out of sync. As long as it's all hardware raid done through a raid controller you should be fine. I can't be more specific then that as I have no experience with that mobo.
  • otesterotester UK
    edited December 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    You should be able to rebuild the raid through your raid commands. If it's raid 1 the good drive will be the active one then say you want to mirror it to the second drive that's gotten out of sync. As long as it's all hardware raid done through a raid controller you should be fine. I can't be more specific then that as I have no experience with that mobo.

So how exactly do you use these RAID commands? And mirror to fix the array?

As far as I can see you only get the CTRL+F menu which just allows you to delete/define arrays.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I believe it is called AMD RaidXpert.

Downloadable from AMD for the chipset, or it should be included on the mobo CD.

Runs in Windows, should allow the rebuild.
  • otesterotester UK
    edited December 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I believe it is called AMD RaidXpert.

Downloadable from AMD for the chipset, or it should be included on the mobo CD.

Runs in Windows, should allow the rebuild.

Ok, I've installed the software.

In the options it says I can turn the 2nd into a "Global Spare" or "RAID 1 LD 1".

Currently under "RAID 1 LD 1" (containing 1st drive), only the rebuild option is available, it lists the 2nd as available?

Will I loose my 1st drive or will it simply mirror the 1st onto the 2nd? This may sound newbie but I have 1TB of stuff I risk loosing so I'd like confirmation.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Reasonably, if your first drive is still in the RAID array and you have a rebuild option available, what it's probably going to do is copy the first drive onto the second to recreate the mirror.

Simply clicking on the option probably won't actually start the process, either - the application will probably ask you a couple more questions first, which will help you to determine what it's going to do.
  • otesterotester UK
    edited December 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    Reasonably, if your first drive is still in the RAID array and you have a rebuild option available, what it's probably going to do is copy the first drive onto the second to recreate the mirror.

Simply clicking on the option probably won't actually start the process, either - the application will probably ask you a couple more questions first, which will help you to determine what it's going to do.

Yep it did it, rebuilt finished, array fixed.

Thanks guys!