Kaspersky Lab leverages Tesla for virus detection

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I love where they are going with this. Anything that can leverage my GPU as an additional computing resource I am totally for.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    This will be some serious protection for servers and networks. I can see a lot of universities and corporations picking this up once it's released.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Except for the fact that no server administrator in their right mind bothers to put high end video equipment in a server... Complex video drivers just add one more thing that could take a box down, and on a server that is not what you want.
    edited December 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Except for the fact that no server administrator in their right mind bothers to put high end video equipment in a server...

I would agree your typical admin wouldn't put a tesla on board, but Teslas are not typical server hardware. Anyone in the HPC server market or has large cluster servers (who already have teslas) will be following this closely.

I would also expect some data centers would be considering a Telsa based antivirus; for the speed and reduced impact on the overall system.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Not to mention the fact that Tesla products receive the same reliability testing as any other enterprise-class hardware.
    edited December 2009
    Going along with Thrax, I would mention that Tesla's are not "High end Video equipment". The tesla is a CUDA Computing Processor, using GPGPU technology, there are Zero (count them again Zero) ports for video on the tesla. As Thrax said "enterprise-class hardware"

Get 3 of these little babies and you got yourself a data mining, rendering, matlab, supercomputer. The data mining ability is the aspect of the tesla Kaspersky Labs is exploiting with their anti-virus program.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Okay... I was a bit thrown by the Tesla bit and assumed it was just another Nvidia graphics card, my bad on that one. Still though, considering how crashy the nvidia drivers have been on my desktop of late, I would be hesitant at the least to put any part that required nvidia drivers on a server that I needed to stay up and running. The hardware may be enterprise tested, but I've lost faith in their software testing over the past year or so.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Several of the top-10 fastest supercomputers on earth are currently using Telsa products. I'm pretty sure the software testing at the enterprise is fine. ;)