is 1,65v memory in any way compatible with 1.5v MB

edited December 2009 in Hardware
Well here i come with my brand new MB Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H along with Phenom II x4 955, and damn pc12800 memory OCZ3OB1600LV4GK which runs on 1.65v and MB gives 1.5v. Since my last upgrade was 5 years ago i'm pretty far behind on knowledge about todays technology and ofcourse i would never even think that there'r so many differences between memory voltages and MB compatibilities ... So the question is... is it even possible use this memory on my MB or it's just thrown away $100?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    You should be able to simply increase the motherboard's memory voltage to 1.65v in the BIOS. Most PII boards go to 2.0v.
  • DraikeDraike South Africa
    edited December 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    You should be able to simply increase the motherboard's memory voltage to 1.65v in the BIOS. Most PII boards go to 2.0v.

He's absolutely rite. One of three things can happen - you jack in the ram and you get either multiple beeping sounds, a pure black 'dead' screen or
    it actually boots up. If it boots up, then as was said, run your bios and rev the volts a couple notches so as not to under-supply the ram.
  • edited December 2009
    the next voltage position on MB is 2.0v ..... i was thinking about it but afraid to burn memory in this case.... 1.65v vs 2.0v pretty big gap.... or it's not that dangerous as i think?
  • DraikeDraike South Africa
    edited December 2009
    I think you better research the ram modules you have and check what is the maximum voltage they can handle. Also remember, that when you overclock ram, that some mobo's push the voltages up on the ram to support the overclocking.
    So simply put, check what ram you have and do some research on having it overclocked and what voltages does it run stable on - WITHOUT damaging it in the long run with excessive heat from the voltage tweak.