psu question :)

SilentdevilSilentdevil Hove, England
edited December 2009 in Hardware
Hi people
I have a 9800gtx+ in my pc and I have had enough of it blue screening every 10 mins,
now i have tried it in 2 other pc's and it works fine,
as soon as i put it in mine it just stops working properly.

My pc works fine running a 4850 (6 pin
connector) and works fine running a 8400gs (no connections)

So I think my power supply 8 pin might be faulty and my friend had the idea of me running my pc next to his and have him running his pc but also his pc supplying the 8 pin power to my gpu and i want to ask you is it safe to do this? (his power supply is 850W so its capable of the task)

Before you ask why he does not just take his power supply out, its because he is lazy :) and its well cable managed.

Craig

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Can you please post the brand, model, and specs of your PSU here?
  • SilentdevilSilentdevil Hove, England
    edited December 2009
    mine is OCZ Stealth X stream 600W
    his is Coolermaster M850
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    To answer your question: I would not recommend attempting to run your video card off of his power supply, as the asynchronous nature of having to boot the systems in sequence will either cause your computer to fail POST, or damage your GPU with current it cannot use.

If you want to use his PSU, you have to hook your entire system up to his power supply; that includes motherboard, drives, GPU, etc.
    edited December 2009
    ok thanks for the answer,
    does anyone if there is a proper fix for the dreaded nvlddmkm.sys blue screen?
    this is the problem i have.
  • edited December 2009
    ok thanks for the answer,
    does anyone if there is a proper fix for the dreaded nvlddmkm.sys blue screen?
    this is the problem i have.

This sounds to me more like a software problem than a PSU problem. What are the Windows version, service pack, and Nvidia driver version installed on your computer?
    edited December 2009
    I am usinig Windows 7 Ultimate, i dont think it has a service pack yet does it :)
    and version 195.62
  • edited December 2009
    Yes, Windows 7 has no service packs yet. When Vista was first released Nvidia drivers were causing too many BSODs like you have described. I wanted to make sure your are not running such a configuration.

I would first eliminate CPU and RAM running Prime95 and Memtest86, respectively.

Next, you might want to check the GPU stability and temperature. I run Furmark and monitor GPU temperature using GPU-Z or Rivatuner. You can try running Furmark until GPU temperature stabilizes at the highest level. You might get the BSOD while doing this so watch the temperature closely.
    edited December 2009
    mirage wrote:
    Yes, Windows 7 has no service packs yet. When Vista was first released Nvidia drivers were causing too many BSODs like you have described. I wanted to make sure your are not running such a configuration.

I would first eliminate CPU and RAM running Prime95 and Memtest86, respectively.

Next, you might want to check the GPU stability and temperature. I run Furmark and monitor GPU temperature using GPU-Z or Rivatuner. You can try running Furmark until GPU temperature stabilizes at the highest level. You might get the BSOD while doing this so watch the temperature closely.
    Ok thanks for the idea i am going to try this tomorrow to tired today :) ill keep you posted
    edited December 2009
    hello these are the results;

CPU: 53 degrees MAX on Prime95 for 9 hours

GPU: 77 degrees Max on FurMark but for only 20 mins but it was not moving off 76 -77

just to add i have always used EVGA Precision to tell me my GPU's temp and core and mem clocks, today i have not used it and my pc has not crashed once.

Could Evga Precision cause my pc to BSOD??
  • edited December 2009
    hello these are the results;

CPU: 53 degrees MAX on Prime95 for 9 hours

GPU: 77 degrees Max on FurMark but for only 20 mins but it was not moving off 76 -77

just to add i have always used EVGA Precision to tell me my GPU's temp and core and mem clocks, today i have not used it and my pc has not crashed once.

Could Evga Precision cause my pc to BSOD??

Your temperatures look normal and you said that there were no crashes. These are good news. I have not heard about problems with EVGA Precision problems before. If you are not overclocking, I would just shut it off or uninstall. I assume, you have not tested RAM with Memtest86+ yet. And I don't think it will show any RAM problems after these tests but for completeness I would do the Memtest86+ test as well. After that, you can eliminate the hardware instability and focus on the software problems. Actually, you might have already resolved it with eliminating EVGA Precision.
    edited December 2009
    it passed on memtest86 with no problems

i have had no problem with the pc since i turned EVGA Precision off
    but now i have said that it will proberly crash in a few Minutes
    so thanks for the help if i do not need to come back.
    edited December 2009
    hello i still have the problem with BSOD's,
    is it possiable that my gpu can not handle top settings on everything but it is still able to run the games about 40+ fps??

(E.G. Garrys Mod: Highest Settings - 40+ FPS) but crashed after about 10 mins