Core 2 Duo Cooler Recommendation?

edited December 2009 in Hardware
Hi Guys, im about to embark on my first ever overclocking experience, I have been reading a bunch of forums regarding the matter, and found a pretty helpful guide to babystep me though the process, but I am having issues with a cooler. I have a core 2 duo 6320 on a stock cooler at the moment, curently stress testing with prime 95 and core temps are hovering around 70 degrees on full load, so i think an upgrade is in order. I have seen a fair few coolers out there, but was wondering if anyone could suggest one? I am intending to take it as fast as i can 2.8 to 3ish hovering around a 400mhz fsb, as i said this is new to me, so im not really sure what to expect speed wise, but would like a cooler that could handle all i dare throw at it.

I have a fairly generous case proportion wise, an Antec 1200, so air flow shouldnt be a problem and a pretty good psu, a hyper 550W.

I have heard the Thermaltake Big Thphoon is very good, but the size of the thing is staggering!

Anyway, any recomendations are welcome

Cheers

Trip

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    The Thermalright TRUE is a solid choice for overclockers, and happens to be on sale at Petra's through the end of the year. http://www.petrastechshop.com/thulhecpucos.html It and a 120mm fan of your choosing would be a solid choice. A nice (and some say better) alternative is the Thermolab Baram.

The Prolimatech Megahalems fits in nicely as a step up.

Alternatively, if you want top-of-the-line, the Noctua ND-D14 is where it's at. It performs well, has exceptional build quality, and isn't very loud.

I'd void the Big Typhoon. There are better coolers on the market. The ones I've listed will serve you well as you upgrade systems in the future. All four are compatible with today's newer sockets and will be supported when future sockets come around.

Be sure to get a nice thermal paste when you upgrade. It makes a difference. I prefer OCZ Freeze due to its ease-of-use.
  • edited December 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the recommendations:) Will most likely go for the Baram, its curently half the price of the True at my usual supplier...Out of interest, how do the cheaper coolers perform, mainly the artic cooling freezers, and Xilence Blade coolers? Just wondered if the Barem would be a bit of overkill for my needs or not....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    They perform significantly better, especially in overclocking situations. But the most important thing about an excellent cooler is that you can usually buy a new mounting kit and take it with you to a new system for about $10, rather than buying an entirely new cooler as you usually have to do with one of the cheaper coolers.
    edited December 2009
    Thrax nailed it. Arctic Cooling makes great products for video card coolers. Their desktop CPU heatsinks, however, aren't anything to write home about. Same for Xilence.

The Baram is an excellent choice. You'll be pleased with it. It's not overkill at all.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Thread may have already been resolved, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon in my gaming rig (in my sig) and the performance on it has been stellar. It's big, and it's heavy, but it works, and it works a LOT better than the stock intel cooler.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it on sale for a good bit off. At this point, it's an older design, and you can't take it with you to a Core i5 or i7 platform.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I have been having fun with Corsairs H50 cooler :) Same performance on basic OCing needs but when pushing my i7 920 to 4.3GHz it can keep the temps inline while air just could not handle it.

I am not 100% sure if it will work with C2D chips so kill my response if need be. I needed to look at its specs again.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    That Corsair cooler really is a neat little piece of tech - and yes, I believe it does come with a mount bracket for LGA775. If I weren't hoping to overhaul my PC soon, I'd be looking to invest in one of those.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi guys, again tanks for the input, but i did go for the Baram, and have just got it installed and up and running. I have been running Prime 95 for 30 mins or so, and at full load its 42 degrees!! Thats a 30 degree drop from my stock cooler which was running mid 70s, incredible performance. Granted its still stock clock, but still impressive results i think. I also went for a Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan for the cooler and I found myself having to check the thing is running:) A very quiet fan indeed.

So now its just a case of ramping up the speed and see what happens. All in all Im a happy camper:)

Instalation was a bit of a chore though having to remove the mother board, but worth the work i think, and i must the say the quality and finish of the Baram is supurb, really a beautifully machined piece of hardware, and excellent instalation instructions also. Certainly a big fella though:)

It may have been a little more money then other coolers, but I dont mind paying that bit more for products that are finished well and work better.

Anyway, again thanks for the input, and all the best for the holidays!

Trip
    edited December 2009
    That's great Trip. Glad it's working well for you.

The fan you picked is great for quiet systems but you might find it's a little underpowered when you get to overclocking. It's quiet for a reason - it only blows 37cfm of air. A stronger fan would unlock a bit more cooling power.

Later on, consider using it as a case fan and adding a 120mm fan like the Gelid Wing12 (64cfm @ 25dB). Noctua's 120mm fans are a good medium between noise and airflow too (54cfm @ 19dB).
  • edited December 2009
    Well after a fair few hours, I have managed to overclock my 6320 to 3.208 at the core, with 438.3 bus, which I am quite happy with. Temps are about 46 idle and 68 on full load. Would you say they are reasonable temps? Or should i be hoping for some thing cooler...Buddy J, if I were to go for say the Noctua fan, how much of a temp drop do you think I could expect from it?

Cheeeers

Trip
  • edited December 2009
    my bad, 458 bus...bleary eyes a few beers and pies:)
    edited December 2009
    It'd knock off a few degrees I'd think. Probably 2-3 I'd guess.