ATI 5750 & 46" Sony Z5100 TV

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Hardware
So I have a 46" Sony Z5100 tv hooked up to a new computer with a 5750 card over hdmi.

The entire circuit actually goes:
|computer| <---> |TV| <---> |Sony Home Theater in a Box|

the tv acts as the receiver because the home theater in a box has only one hdmi port which is for video output and audio input. All the devices (computer, ps3, htib) are plugged into the tv which acts as a receiver. We haven't had any issues until now.

But with the computer. The audio is poor. Quite often there is no audio and about the only solution I have found is to unplug and plug the hdmi cable from the computer to the tv back in. And that doesn't always work.

I suspect the issue is the hdmi handshake. Even if I tell the tv to use its internal speakers there is still no audio when it decided to not work. I'm prone to blame the video card as I have had zero issues up until now and the ps3 has never had any audio issues. Nor the tv sending audio from cable channels to the home theater in a box.

Has anyone else had issues with hdmi audio from the 5xxx series cards? This is really pissing me off as I shouldn't have these problems from a $120 product.

Also, it will only let me select 2 channel audio. So I can't even send surround audio over. Nor is there any such option for selecting bit-stream or pcm audio.

Maybe I'm naive, but I thought for a card clearly geared for home theater, it would ship with a utility application to view and edit the settings at a lower level. But in the ati control panel the only options are video related.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    That card should have ATI Avivo which supports 7.1 audio and almost all audio formats. I don't know what would be causing you issues. Do you have the latest drivers?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Does your TV support 5.1 passthrough via HDMI? I know some of mine didn't.

Does your receiver support video passthrough? If so, I'd say you're connecting it in the wrong order. Put one cable from the card to the receiver, then tell the receiver to pass the video signal to the TV via the other. I'd never pass things from my TV to my receiver unless the TV was the original generator of the signal (analog TV, etc) - everything goes to the receiver first, in my setups.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    The receiver isn't a receiver. And yes, the tv supports 5.1 passthrough because it works with my ps3 while playing games and watching blu ray.

I was trying not to call it a receiver because it is really a dvd player with a built in amp (sony style). I want to get my parents a legitimate receiver, but that'll wait until I have more money.

The way it is hooked up is all the inputs go to the tv, even the dvd player/amp, but it is just video. The dvd/player amp does allow audio input over either optical or coaxial digital. So I have a optical digital cable running back from the tv to the amp and the tv passes surround over that to the amp. Which works for all inputs except the computer.

I got ahold of sony yesterday and installed a firmware update for the tv that just came out a week or two ago. It seems to have improved the overall connection issues for now, but I'm still holding my breath. It still isn't giving me the option to send anything other than stereo in the windows sound configuration. Its a little disheartening since I know for a fact the tv will pass 5.1 as my ps3 works.

I know this isn't a normal setup, but the receiver has no hdmi inputs, which makes it not a receiver. Like I said. It's bascially a dvd player with a built in amp and a set of digital audio inputs. Someday I'll give them a proper receiver like I have.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Yep. Got excited too soon. It's back to not working.. damn it to hell.