Corrupted hard drive

edited December 2009 in Hardware
I have a corrupted external hard drive that has a bunch of pictures on it. I tried some free software and it showed up but it said 0 GB and I couldn't do anything with it. I was using this when it got corrupted.
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39
If this isn't a very good forum for this question can you tell me one that is. Thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Sorry I didn't post this earlier but does anyone know how to get the information off of it. I didn't make myself very clear.
  • edited December 2009
    "and it showed up but it said 0 GB and I couldn't do anything with it"

What said 0GB, the file you're trying to recover or the whole partition?
    Is it FAT32 or NTFS ? What kind of drive is attached to the device?
    How was it formatted? How did the problem occur ?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Attach it to your external adapter, then download and run a program called Recuva. Install the program to your C:\ drive, and save anything the program finds to some other hard drive than the broken one.

I doubt the adapter hurt the drive, it looks like the partition is just bad. The partition is what tells Windows how to find files; the information is still there, Windows just doesn't know where to look.

Once that info is saved, format the disk and move your information back.
  • edited December 2009
    I was trying to get it off with another program and all the sudden it started working. Thanks for the help anyway.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    If that's the case, I wouldn't at all trust that hard drive. Such erratic performance is indicative of a failing disk, and you're bound to lose that hard drive for good.