Boulevard Smokestack Series

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Food & Drink
Boulevard's finest:

boule.jpg

Left to Right

Bourbon Barrel Quad
Based loosely on the Smokestack Series Sixth Glass, this abbey-style quadrupel, after fermentation on cherries, was separated into a number of oak bourbon barrels, where is aged for varying lengths of time, in some cases as long as a year. Selected barrels were then blended for optimum flavor. The resulting beer retains only very subtle cherry characteristics, with toffee and vanilla notes coming to the fore.

Seeyalater Doppelbock
Medium amber in color, Seeyoulator offers a heady, estery banana aroma. A luscious maltiness predominates, with balancing notes from Hallertau hops. Cedar aging lends just a hint of spice to the finish.

Saison Brett
Our gold-medal winning Saison (Mondial de la Biere, Montreal, 2008) was the inspiration for this limited edition ale. We brewed a slightly stronger version that was then dry hopped, followed by bottle conditioning with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts an earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale is given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the "Brett" character if that’s what you’re after.

Double Wide IPA
Double-Wide I.P.A. uses Columbus and Magnum hops for both bittering and aroma with Chinook hops added in the whirlpool. It is dry hopped with generous amounts of Cascade, Bravo, Centennial, and Chinook hops. The resulting beer has a hop forward aroma, redolent of peach and apricot. The assertive flavor bursts with the citrus qualities of blood orange and lemon with a slight caramel malt backbone to balance the intense hop flavor. There is little restraint in the flavor of this beer; it is certainly not for the pedestrian palate.

I will be bringing each of these to Icrontic's New Years party for my guests to enjoy ;)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    :(

Too hoppy

Tastes like soap

Too hoppy

Way too hoppy

Go away, winter. I want summer beers. :(
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Don't worry bro, there will be a shitton of Boulevard Wheat with us also
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    The smokestack Saison was delicious, not too hoppy at all. not sure how far the saison-brett strays from that, but if its comparable the the saison, I daresay you might enjoy it Thrax.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    The Bourbon Barrel sounds good.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I will definitely want to add some of these to what I've tasted. Hopefully I can make it before they're poured dry.
    edited December 2009
    RyanMeray wrote:
    I will definitely want to add some of these to what I've tasted. Hopefully I can make it before they're poured dry.

at $8 and $13 per bottle, I will have a tight grip on these and what is given out will be controlled
    edited December 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    at $8 and $13 per bottle, I will have a tight grip on these and what is given out will be controlled

Could I interest you in some sample-swapping of Sahtea, Olde School Barleywine, or Chateau Jihau?
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Doppelbock. Unf. Wish I was going to ICNY.
    edited December 2009
    Annes wrote:
    Doppelbock. Unf. Wish I was going to ICNY.

I could always bring some when I visit in Feb.... <3
    edited December 2009
    RyanMeray wrote:
    Could I interest you in some sample-swapping of Sahtea, Olde School Barleywine, or Chateau Jihau?

maybe....

just show up, we'll try not to drink them all the first night ;)
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Try being the key word there.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The Saison you brought was probably my favorite. I'm sad I only had a small taste, and half a bottle was left on the counter through the next afternoon. :( The dopplebock was also amazing. It reminded me of Cabin Fever made by New Holland out here.

I have a whole new appreciation for Boulevard after trying some of these beers.
    edited January 2010
    I wish I could've tried the bourbon barrel quad, the quad itself was phenomenal. That was one of the nicest trippel's I've ever had, too.

Normally I try and focus my buying around Michigan beers, but like Dogfish Head, I think I'm going to make an exception for Boulevard.

Now can someone explain to me why a company making such great beer doesn't have a Michigan distributor yet???
    edited January 2010
    It will take time. They might be moving our way. My dad has been wondering the same thing and has been e-mailing the company. haha. We discovered Boulevard when my brother moved out to Iowa, and my dad always grabs a couple cases when we visit.
    edited January 2010
    I know I'm gonna talk to some of the beer shops I go to and tell them to talk to their distribs about Boulevard. One of the guys I know runs B Nektar here in Ferndale and he's a total beer geek too, so he can probably talk to whoever distributes his product in Michigan and find out where they're at.

Time to kick down some doors in the name of beer!
    edited January 2010
    Go Ryan! :)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    To the best of my knowledge, Boulevard only comes as far east as Illinois at the moment.
    edited January 2010
    The thing about beer distributing is it has less to do with geography and more to striking contracts with the distributors who have licenses in various states. B Nektar, for example, was distributed in Maine before it was distributed anywhere else besides Michigan. North Carolina is in the works too, IIRC.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge, Boulevard only comes as far east as Illinois at the moment.

No longer. They started selling Smokestack series in Indiana. I know a few shops in South Bend and Elkhart that sells them, not sure about the rest of the state.

No wheat yet, though.