New build, Maximus III USB problems

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited December 2009 in Hardware
Hey, havn't been on here in a while but I'm in need of some help.
For Christmas, I got an Asus Maximus III foruma, a Core i5 750 and 4GB of Corsair Dominator 1600MHZ DDR3

Put it together, installed Windows 7 64 bit, had some problems with USB devices, none of them were really working properly, at one point it wasn't reconising the external drive that it had been installed with. Anyway, I've got it to boot properly, and managed to install my motherboard drivers using the external DVD drive. I don't have an internal DVD drive at the mo.

Anyway, after I installed the motherboard drivers, I rebooted and went on to the drivers for my wireless adapter. I installed those, rebooted again, plugged in my wireless adapter (USB) and it said it has been installed sucessfully. Went to connect to a wireless network and nothing. It says there are no connections available ( as in devices, not wireless networks).

Bare in mind this same wireless adapter was working fine on my old system, different hardware but same operating system (Windows 7 64 bit).
So, I rebooted, tried again. Still no sucess. I went to reastart again, but then it just wouldnt shut down, it just hung on "Shutting down..."

Whats going on?! :(

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    TRy a BIOS update. Asus motherboards are notoriously quirky.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited December 2009
    I have looked on the Asus website and there aren't any BIOS updates just yet, I've got it connected to the internet via an ethernet cable and it seems to be working, but sometimes it won't shut down, and the wireless simply refuses to work. Do you think that possibly the wireless adapter I'm using isn't compatible with something? It does say it's Windows 7 compatable, so I'm not really sure what's going on.
    edited December 2009
    Im guessing this wireless adapter just isn't compatable. I've been running memtest all night and on test 8 it had 2 errors. Could this be the problem with it randomly freezing?

PC%20upgrade%20071.JPG
    edited December 2009
    Sorry about the size I don't have any resizing software installed on my laptop.
  • edited December 2009
    Are all your other USB devices working properly now?

Are there drivers loaded (and any problem codes) for these USB devices as shown in Device Manager / Devices and Printers?

Does the connection show up in Control Panel -> search for "Network Connections"?
    edited December 2009
    All the other USB devices work fine now. I am running it with 1 stick of RAM and it is stable. I think one of the sticks of RAM is bad, or one of the slots on the motherboard is. I will test it and find out later. In the mean time, this wireless issue. I've managed to get an old wireless adapter working, and that works but it has an overheating issue, which gives me an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. So I cannot use that, I just lost an essay I was writing for my physics CW as I hadn't saved it. :(

The wireless I want to use installs correctly, shows up in network connections but is disabled, I try to enable it, it says enabled but it stays disabled. I've tried reastarting, disabling other devices etc but I simply cannot get it to work.
    edited December 2009
    Ok, never mind the wireless, I can sort that myself. I've narrowed the problem down to it freezing about 10 minutes of doing large file transfers. Turns out, my RAM isn't on Asus's compatabiliby list. Could this be the source of all my problems?