Re-booting Loop

edited January 2010 in Hardware
Hi,

My computer went into a reboot loop and I haven’t been able to figure out what is causing it.

Configuration:
Windows XP SP3
Motherboard – ASUS P5E
CPU – Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz
RAM – 4 gig
Power – Antec TruePower Trio 550w
Video – ATI X1950 Pro

The reboots start right after the Windows loading page starts. Safe Mode, Normal Mode, and Last Good Configuration do not work, it just reboots. The opening system check shows everything working ok, including RAM.

MemTest86 didn’t even get to perform, it reboots at about 40-50% on pass 0%, every time.

Drive Fitness Test shows disposition code 0x00. All clear here.

I can’t test the power since I don’t have a multimeter, but my fan is running on the power supply.

After following the steps in this post http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86681, are there any other things I can do, or does anyone know what might be wrong with my system based on the results above?

Thanks for any help offered.

Alfred

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    If you reboot during Memtest, it could be memory, it could be the mobo, it could be the PSU. I'd swap for known good memory if you have some around and trying Memtest again.
  • edited January 2010
    I didn't have any spare parts laying around and had to order online. I orderd new RAM and a new power supply (850w). Also, I was running a 750w power supply, not the 550w I mentioned above.

I tested out the ram first, one stick at a time in different slots and it still rebooted at the same spot. I then put in the new power supply and it is STILL re-booting.

Is there any other advice on what can be causing this?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2010
    CPU over heating. Check the heatsink and makesure it is clean and clear of dust.
  • edited January 2010
    My CPU is fine according to the BIOS: CPU 22.5 C / 72.5 F - MB 30 C / 86 F.

The heatsink fan is working and is clean.

Also, when attempting to start is SAFE mode, the reboot starts again at the loading of the driver / file: windows/system32/drivers/iomdisk.sys. I'm not certain is this is the last file it always loads when loading in safe mode or not. Also not certain if this is relevant.

Is there any other options left to me?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Do you have a ZIP disk plugged in?
  • edited January 2010
    No ZIP disk, but I have a USB hub (NexStar GX) and an external DVD burner plugged into the USB.

I just unplugged all my USB devices so only my keyboard is plugged in, still rebooting in a loop.
  • edited January 2010
    I've fixed the issue, mostly.

It seems it was a software problem. I tried repairing Windows and it worked, except now my computer runs real slow at start-up. My RAM is being read but only 3.25 of my 4 gb. I added the 2 older chips and the start-up page shows 8 gb ok, but Control Panel > System only shows 3.25 gb of RAM.

Thank you again Icrontic gurus for getting back up and running. :)

Alfred
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2010
    if i remember rightly a 32bit OS wont ever see more than 3.25 gb
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    This is correct. You can throw all the RAM you want at it, but if you're running a 32-bit version of your OS, it can't recognize more than 3.25GB. You'll have to upgrade (which means reinstall) to a 64-bit version of your OS.