GPU baking success!

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Hardware
While I was at ICHQ a few weeks ago, Thrax and I baked a couple graphics cards to try to science some pixel potential back to life. Gnome Queen's dead 7900GT and Thrax's 8800GTS went into the oven, and then I had the maddening task of waiting until I got home to try them out.

Thing is, I was only home for a day before I flew out on my Christmas vacation, so I only had a chance to test the 7900, which fit in my case without having to rearrange HDs or cables. It turned out that the baking left it in some kind of zombie state, where it was could sometimes run stably in 2D apps, but frazzled out as soon as I started a 3D app. Then I had to pack my bags, and was left wondering for a couple of weeks if the 8800 had been resurrected or not.

I'm happy to report that it was! On Monday, I installed the 8800 and did a quick test with Furmark and 3DMark, and didn't run into any problems. Then I left it running Furmark all night, and it was still chugging along happily when I returned in the morning!

I run pretty old hardware. Thanks to Thrax, my score in 3DMark06 has nearly tripled. :respect:
Before: 7600GT AGP, 2970 3DMarks (just noticed that this one is a lot older than I thought, and doesn't have the CPU oc'd)
After: 8800GTS PCIE, 8130 3DMarks

Prime's got a bunch of pictures of the baking process, but I'm guessing he won't be able to post them until he gets back from CES.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    AWESOME... the more I hear about this the more I want to try it on two of my GPU's. :D
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    It's aliiiive, it's ALIIIIIIVVVVEEEE!

Outstanding! I'm telling you, it becomes infectious. Before long you'll want to bake anything and everything that breaks.

I'm curious how well this works with non Geforce 8 series GPUs. I need to try my old dead 9700 pro.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Yay for resoldering bad connections :)