Crashing-happy-fun-times. (The Happy-fun-times bit is a lie. It's not fun)

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Hardware
So, I have a Compaq Presario V6305ca laptop as my computer. 2GB ram, AMD Turion 64 x2 1.6 GHz dual core processor, Nvidia GeForce Go 6150, etc.

And it crashes. And freezes.

I've had it now for 2 and a half years. I was running Vista Home Premium without any problems (except a little bit of overheating...during the summer...after spending 4 hours playing WoW...which was fixed by a cooling pad), until the hard drive died. I bought a new, bigger one, and (As I didn't have a Vista disc, and XP didn't work correctly when I tried to install it), I put Windows 7 RC on it.

I started running into occasional BSODs with it, especially after putting the computer in Hibernate or standby, and short freezing bursts where the computer would partially freeze up, meaning music would temporarily pause, and while I could do things such as scroll through a webpage I was looking at, attempting to alt-tab or load a new page would totally freeze things up..all for maybe 20 seconds, then unfreeze. This happened whenever I was running iTunes (less often after an iTunes update came out) and whenever I ran uTorrent., and such over the past few months. Figuring that it was due to the RC position and lack of updates for the RC, I purchased 7 Professional. During Christmas, I wiped my harddrive and installed 7 Professional.

And now I have more problems :(

The random freezing occurs far more often now, and not just when i'm running iTunes or uTorrent. More worrying is that while the occasional BSODs still crop up, I now have totally freezes, where the previous split second of audio loops itself constantly, nothing moves, and it will not come out of the freeze itself until I do a reboot. This seems to happen randomly, once every day or two.

I ran memtest86+, no errors found there.

I'm sick and tired of all these problems and have started considering just saying "Screw it" and buying a new (average) desktop. I'd rather not though, so that I could save the money to get a nice gaming PC in a year or so from now.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.