Hardrive is no longer recognized.

edited January 2010 in Hardware
Hello,

My computer has been working for the past year and half perfectly with the following:
- Windows Vista
- Asus Motherboard (I can't remember the exact model)
- Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD

My girlfriend was on my computer looking at some pictures that I have stored on my external hardrive (Western Digital 1TB). She decided to set a picture from my external hardrive as the background on my computer. Next, she decided to shut it down, but accidently put it into sleep mode. When I came back to the computer it froze at the "enter password" screen so I manually turned the computer off.

(The whole picture as desktop thing may be a Red Herring, but I thought I would include it just in case. Can we set pictures from our external hard drives as a desktop background?)

When I restarted it, an error popped up saying that I had to insert system boot disk. Knowing this, I restarted the computer and went into my BIOS. It no longer recognized my hard drive, but still recognized my CD drive. I switched the HD and CD drive ports around and it again recognzied my CD drive in the new port, but not the hard drive (in the original CD drive port). To check to see if the cable was muffed, I switched cables with my CD drive and again the CD drive was recognized, but not the HD drive. This leads me to believe that my HD is outright muffed.

Is there any other methods for recovering my information?

Comments