Uninstalling hardware problem

MathsParMathsPar New
edited January 2010 in Hardware
Hi

I recently bought a wireless PCI card, not realising that my PCI slots are hidden by the clunky fan on my graphics card.

So for now at least I was going to take the graphics card out, use the motherboard output for the monitor and test out the wireless PCI card.

I thought I could just take the graphics card out, put the PCI card in, load up XP and install the drivers. Taking the graphics card out pretty much killed my PC. When loading up it wouldn't even get to the log in screen without going to one of those blue screens with the error messages. I'd figured I must've knocked a cable when messing about with the cards so spent a while unplugging and plugging back in everything with no success. Tried it without the PCI card and same problem..

Put the graphics card back in and everything worked fine again. So I'm guessing I need to do some sort of uninstall of the card before I rip it out again? Any ideas?

Comments

• MathsParMathsPar New
    edited January 2010
    Any thoughts?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    option 1) you should be able to boot into safe mode after you remove the graphics card and then remove the drivers.

option 2) you could also try going into the control panel, finding your graphics card, removing it there, then shutting down, and taking it out.
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited January 2010
    Think I may have uninstalled a driver too many... neither the on board video or the graphics card will show anything past the black Windows XP screen (the one before the log in). Any thoughts? It's not that it's broken, just need to get a driver back somehow. My motherboard is GA-G33M-DS2R.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    can you boot to safe mode?