Think I got a problem here!

The-Lovable-Mr--HaterThe-Lovable-Mr--Hater Planet Earth
edited January 2010 in Spyware & Virus Removal
hey guys. long time since i've been in here. well, all has been well and i hope everyone had a great new year.
onto my problem now.

i recently noticed my pc being a little sluggish, so i ran malwarebytes to check for any situations. no probs. then i went to msconfig to turn off some of the processes that i know i dont need at start up (zune, webcam, etc.). well, i went to run, and did a chkdsk /f to make sure there were no errors, and when i turned the system back on, now all i get is a black screen that says lsass.exe - unable to locate component. i looked up online and this could be a virus or trojan. since i cant get into anything to check, how do i fix this. i tried running safe mode and nothing. please help!!

you guys rock in advance! :respect:

Comments

• The-Lovable-Mr--HaterThe-Lovable-Mr--Hater Planet Earth
    edited January 2010
    let me state again what the box says...

at the top of the box it says "lsass.exe - Unable the Locate Component"

Then in the box the message reads after the big red X "This application has failed to start because DNSAPI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

if i press ok, or just hit the x in the corner, nothing happens, it just stays black.
    thanks again to anyone who can help
    oh yea, if this matters, my system is....
    windows xp
    4gb ddr3-1666
    wd 320 gb hard drive - (2 of those)
    gigabyte mb - i dont have the model number in front of me, but it has a system recovery on the disc and i also tried that and nothing.

let me know if there is more info anyone needs and i will try to help.

thank goodness i have a laptop to put this here!
    edited January 2010
    ok. not sure if this is a good idea or not, but i put in my xp disk and just figured that i would reinstall windows on top. is this a good idea? can i do a deep search for the virus this way after i reload it? should i just clean the drive off and reinstall windows 7 and say to hell with it? if the latter is the way to go, then can i get all the pictures that i have on the drive still? all the programs i can reload, but the pictures i dont have copies of. hopefully someone will reply.
    edited January 2010
    nevermind. i just stripped the disk and reloaded windows. i understand that people in here are very busy and dont get paid to help us. i just needed to get my computer up. thanks though.
This discussion has been closed.