Settings for OCZ2RPR10664GK and ASUS P5Q SE

edited February 2010 in Hardware
Hello to all!!
I recently bought a new rig, (actually I bought the pieces and set it up myself), and my memory choice was OCZ2RPR10664GK. During my initial steps yesterday, I noticed that my ram modules are recognized as PC2-6400 instead of PC2-8500, using CPU-z and to make sure I also checked with PCWizard. Searching the forums I found that to be a common problem but I was not able to find the right settings for my case. Since I am not a pc hardware technician, my knowledge and my skills are limited. I found out that I have to set up some BIOS settings properly in order to fix this. Can somebody help me with what are the right settings for my system? Also, how can I check that all is OK afterwards? I mean, that the speed is the right one and that the system is stable.

My system has:
- ASUS P5Q SE mobo, BIOS version 1005 (latest, dated 10/07/09)
- Intel cpu Q9550 clocked at 1333 Mhz FSB (by default)
- OCZ2RPR10664GK PC2-8500 dual channel 2x2GB ram
- Win7 64bit

if you need any other information please ask me...

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I would love to help but I am not see much info on the bios layout for this board...
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    How far into your bios have you gone?? Also have you done anything to overclock the system?? Most 1066 memory needs to be manual set in the bios, but if you've overclocked it is best left at 800 (the PC2-6400 your seeing). If you'd like, I could "show" something to look for but it would be based on my systems and they are amd! ;D
  • edited February 2010
    Well, I contacted OCZ support and I must say I was impressed by their quick answer. I would have contacted them earlier but from my experience from electronic companies support, I thought it would be pointless, but OCZ proved me wrong. Here is their response which I must say worked like a charm!
    Try clearing the CMOS and then manually adjusting the memory settings in the BIOS. I recommend using timings of 5-5-5-18(CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS), command rate of 2t, and 2.1-2.2 volts. Then adjust your DRAM frequency to 1066mhz.

On CPUZ on the memory tab it will show the memory as running at approximately 533mhz once you've done this. 533mhz is the I/O speed of 1066mhz memory.

Well, since mine was a fresh machine, I didn't clear the CMOS. Also, I left the memory voltage to the default setting, but I have to say that I saw from the CPU-Z that my mobo was using 2.1 volts by default. But nevertheless it all ends up that these settings worked! And I have a fully functional 1066 MHz pair of modules. I tested them with my favorite games for hours :bigggrin: and no problem came up.

I think that the settings are not specific to my mobo, so everyone with the same or similar problem should have a working solution by using them. If not, contact the support because you might have a faulty module (or modules).

Thank you Sledgehammer70 and jedihobbit for taking time to answer my questions.

<cite class="ic-username"></cite>
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    OCZ has been good on the service side that's for sure. The CMOS deal is something that does slip by often (has got me more than once!). G;ad thinks worked out for you. Just remember if you do decide to OC you may not be able to keep the 1066 without some voltage changes and usually one ends up dropping down to 800 for that.

Have fun and enjoy!! :bigggrin: