Toshiba Laptop Boot Error

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Hardware
A friend of mine at work is having an issue with a Toshiba laptop. I told him I would ask some pro's (Icrotian's) to see if they have any idea on what might be going on.

So I ask....

When he turns the system on he gets the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\drivers\KR101.sys

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom select r at the first screen to start repair

He does not have the original XP disc :( any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    KR101.sys is a part of the Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI driver package. He can most likely fix the issue by downloading the zip file contained in this post here, extracting it to a USB drive, then booting with an Ubuntu LiveCD wherein he can copy the working KR101.sys from the zip file into the system32\drivers directory on the borked Windows install.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Alternatively, though possibly easier depending on how their technical inclination lies. Pull the harddrive out of the computer put it into an external drive bay connect it to a different computer and copy the file to the right location.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    NM..