The Shattered Horizon {IC} team

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Gaming
I had a three hour discussion with Futuremark's Oliver Baltuch about doing a team review, and starting an official midwest ladder for SH.

Shattered Horizon is hard to 'get', but here's the context that I can best frame it in: Imagine it as a replacement for CounterStrike. It is a multiplayer, competitive shooter that is best used for tournament play. It's highly technical, challenging, and skill-based. There is a steep learning curve, and it requires practice, good hardware, and the right strategy to win.

That said, I know we have some very talented players within this community. I have five keys to give away in order to facilitate this.

If you want to play on the Icrontic team, you have to commit to two nights a week practice schedule, an {IC} clan tag, willingness to play competitively against some amazingly good players (including Futuremark staff ;)), you have to have the hardware to play well, and you have to be willing to be quoted and published (I'll be interviewing people, etc.)

If this sounds right, PM me. I'm not sure what the practice schedule will be yet, but it will probably be something like monday night and thursday nights.

If you have the slightest doubt about your ability to commit, please don't bother.

"I'm In:"

Prime
_K
Lynx
Pigflipper
Winfrey
Serp

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    AWESOME IDEA!!! I would love to join!!!

But I know I cannot commit to the schedule and none of my systems are Shattered Horizon worthy. But I am excited to hear about the Team!!
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I was in no real hurry to try out SH until you said
    Imagine it as a replacement for CounterStrike.It is a multiplayer, competitive shooter that is best used for tournament play. It's highly technical, challenging, and skill-based. There is a steep learning curve, and it requires practice, good hardware, and the right strategy to win.

Now I must fix my computer this weekend and try it :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    People keep dogging on the lack of weapons and levels, etc... but this game is meant to be a focused skill-based shooter. Attack vectors, angling, thinking in 3D, pure skill—these are true focal points for the game.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'm in.

Practice schedule could be troublesome because of my work, depending on what time it is. Mondays and Thursdays, however, I think I can typically do. I usually have those days off, or I'm done with work at 9pm.

As long as it isn't on weekends.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Time permitting, I'm in.

This game frustrates the hell out of me because I'm so bad at at, but it is somewhat refreshing to play an FPS that is genuinely difficult.
    edited January 2010
    we will have access to instruction from the devs.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I want to impress upon people the importance of this commitment. This isn't something that can be dropped and resumed at your leisure; if you commit to this, you're committing to an agreement between Icrontic and Futuremark Corporation to expand the influence of their game in return for lots of good juju for Icrontic.

If we start a midwest ladder, Futuremark will look to us to provide leadership and oversight to other teams that might come on board. In effect, we'll be creating something of a league.

Please be sure you can represent Icrontic fully and always if you're going to sign up.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I somehow missed the 2nd half of the OP when I was on the mobile. I cannot promise that level of commitment to those days, so I will not participate in the official team but would love to organize some casual SH nights in another thread if anyone is interested.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'd love to get in on this, but I'm only running on XP. I plan on upgrading in the next 3 or 4 months, so if there's still a slot open, you can count me in.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Finally, a reason for my HD5850 and Phenom II. Count me in
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'm in as long as the practice times are after 11pm on weekdays. Otherwise, I can't commit the time.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'm interested, although currently I'm still running XP. I have been needing to upgrade to windows 7 and just haven't gotten around to it yet, so it won't be a problem. I'll be buying Windows 7 this week.

I need to look more into the game to make sure its a game I'm wanting to spend a ton of time playing, but looking at it so far and its space combat system seems pretty awesome. I should be free any day but Tuesday and Friday nights to play.
    edited January 2010
    CB, if it's cool with the rest of the "I'm in" crew, we can make practice times 11pm EST. I personally don't have an issue with that, although it's late for some people.
    edited January 2010
    11pm works for me, but as a full time student, I can pretty much do this whenever.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    CB, if it's cool with the rest of the "I'm in" crew, we can make practice times 11pm EST. I personally don't have an issue with that, although it's late for some people.
    It's a bit on the late side for me. I generally am up by 6:00am and in bed by 10:00 pm CST. I could handle 10:00 EST start though.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    11pm would work for me, because even if I work until midnight, I can be online and playing by 12:30am, if anything is still going on..
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'm thinking Mondays starting Feb 1 from 10pm-midnight EST. If you can only do 1 hour, that's fine for now. We'll likely do the same time on Thursdays as well, same deal.

I'd rather make this as inclusive as possible and let people make up their minds about their commitment level as we get into it. It will likely be "open practice" meaning all are welcome, there will just be priority for the committed players.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Good to hear. I'd like to be involved, but I can't commit to a firm schedule due to the complexities of my job.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited January 2010
    this is one damn hard game to pick up , played a lot of CSS etc and it is like a 45 degree shift and relearn everything. damn good fun until vertigo attack damn near puked. :( , not in but watching with interest :bigggrin:
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I have the game and the hardware, but no particular desire to practice or be competitive. If there is an occasional fun clan match, or you need to dig deep to have a fill in alternate here and there I would certainly welcome a few extra games of SH.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited January 2010
    I don't have the oomph to run it, so good luck to you guys. kick some ass and do us proud.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I would love to be in but staying up until Midnight two nights a week more than I already do would be tough since I get up at 5:30AM every morning. I could do a 9PM-11PM or a 9PM-10PM (if it's only an hour) but I dunno about staying up until Midnight. God, I feel old after just typing this.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    OLD
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I would like to be in. I am totally down with some competitive matches and am available to practice pretty much every night.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I see myself as an average FPS player, I doubt I shall ever partake of competitive FPS-ing. But you kids all have fun now, y'hear!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I am starting to really like this game, at just under 8 hours. Just went 13-2 on the space station because I just sat back and did unscooped pot shots.

What are we doing for voice talk since there is no built in function, which I don't understand?

I also was thinking about how to flush out people hiding behind asteroids. At least two people opposite flanks go in. One shoots a MPA so the enemy gets pushed out one side into the other player who drops an EMP and lays into the person's tank. Sounds good but haven't tried to pull it off just pushed people around into team members with MPAs.
    edited January 2010
    k, on top of what you are saying, after some play time, a good general rule seems to be this: NEVER GO ALONE! Stick with at least one other teammate and your odds of survival increase quite a bit.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I really want to get a game going with {IC} people to start strategizing. I guess we can use our Ventrilo sever to voicechat during the game, which should help out a lot for coordination.

I really like the subtleties of this game, so far I have been just running and gunning which has netted me only average scores. I'm sure there are many more tactics that will become more obvious as we play.
    edited January 2010
    actually winfrey running and gunning works really well in this game. One player to find and play against is GrammarNazi, he isn't the best but has an incredibly effective style that a lot of the better players use. MPA boost, silent run, suit on, boost, close combat kill; and he works almost always alone.

The last few hours I have been playing I try not to stick with the rest of the people. I have been hanging back to pot shot everyone or I work forward slowly waiting for floaters to slip past me or use cover to leapfrog to EMP range of snipers. I never run silent, almost never use the scope, and spend most of my time looking through floating rocks for heads.

Side note: if someone is running up on you hard and silent EMP them before their suit comes up or right before they get to you try and bounce a MPA close to them so they shoot off away from you.
    edited January 2010
    I would not be opposed to some pre-practice practice. I will be playing tonight, shoot me a steam message.

QUESTION: Are we going to get access to a locked/private server so we can practice alone. You know....you, me, and the big empty of space. I want to see the stars reflected in your eyes.