Icrontic Crashes Kaleidoquiz

MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von PuttenhamCalifornia Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Community
Friends! Countrymen! Icrontians! Lend me your ears! (Specifically those of you with a penchant for googling and a love of macguyvering)!

March 5th and 6th marks Kaleidoquiz 2010. The Materials Engineering team (which is actually comprised of anyone who wants to play, because we're nice like that). Naturally, I think it would be a jolly good time if the Icrontians came and crashed Ames, Iowa for KQ2010!

A description of KQ:

KQ is a 26 hour "trivia" contest hosted by the college radio station in Ames. I have trivia in quotes, because the contest is also comprised of various challenges and other weird stuff (in the past we've had to acquire materials to build a flying burrito launcher, dress up as a furry and head into campustown during drunk hours to find the mysterious "smiley," corpse-run in WoW with a new character to find and kill a level 10 character, etc).

Trivia is a large part of it - every six minutes we will be asked questions that range from easy (what's the name of the song played by the band Stars in the movie "Penelope"?), medium (What's the first name of Scott Chumbley, a professor on campus who goes by his middle name?), and hard (what is the 63rd magic word?)

In addition to trivia and challenges, a team is compiled to travel about the continental US (sometimes canada) on a scavenger hunt whose clues are not released until they're well on the road. This team usually doesn't make it home until AFTER the KQ scoring.

Logistics:

I live in an efficiency apartment. Thus, I can handle four or five more people - we're talking sleeping on the floor, side by side. It's been done. If only four or five people are up for it, then we're golden. If there are more, then a hotel room may be an option, though I hate to do it to you.

In addition, the team is only used to having about 30 or so people (we're a small team, the winners usually comprise around 80... but we took fifth last year!). Thus, our accommodations are a computer lab about that size. Having said that, I'm pretty sure we can rig up some sort of WAP for laptops, even without access to the IASTATE network.

Finally - and this is the killer - the campus is a dry one. O BLARGAG.

Is anyone up for this?

tl;dr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleidoquiz , http://kaleidoquiz.org/

By the way - you DON'T need to sign up, the MatE's are on top of that. All you'd need to do is show up.

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Color me very interested in this, but stay inside the lines damnit.

I have a crazy work schedule though, so I wont know till last minute. Sigh, I'm so unreliable.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    If we get a decent IC contingent in this... it would make for a GREAT event. Put on your google cap, and you're good for the questions. The events are the real kicker, though - making things, going on photo scavenger hunts... That's where the points are, and its where IC can SHINE!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Is this something I could bring the kids to?
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I believe there's a waiver you have to sign to participate, and I'm not sure if the rules stipulate that you must be eighteen or older to do so. The question's never come up, because I don't believe we've ever had children here - the predominant participants are college kids, some alums, and various friends. I'll ask the guy in charge of our team.

Quite frankly, I don't think it'd be a problem. Even if they can't sign the waiver, they can at least hang out at HQ and help with the trivia. As long as we don't bore them, of course - the room has very little in the way of entertainment, and I know Perry and Kyle like to go off and do their own thing now and again during IC events.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    This sounds epically fun. I will look into it.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Is this something I could bring the kids to?

Prime, as Myrmidon said, the primary difficulty will be with entertainment. We will be working towards one goal for 26 hrs straight. There are several events that would help with this "Build a device that performs a simple task with as many steps as possible" but there are also rather boring things for 10-12 yr olds "determine the song/artist for this montage of 25 songs."

I do think that they would be fine being there, and no one would have any problems at all. In fact, I'm sure a kids perspective would come in handy for some of the creative thinking tasks.

Also, If you come, can we officially call this ICKQ?
    edited January 2010
    The head honcho of the team says they're fine to come, but the waiver policy is in fact 18 and over. Unfortunately, that means they'd be restricted to trivia and not allowed to help in the events. Huge sadface, because I bet they'd be AWESOME in the events.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    you can call it ICKQ :D
    edited January 2010
    Awright - for those of you interested, it would be a good idea to start listening in on the emails now. Our captain is a buddy of mine named Ben, and the co-captain is another buddy named Boze (whom a few of you may have seen on the IC TF2 server as Grizzly Adams).

To get on the email list, email rattle.b@gmail.com. Tell him you're part of Icrontic or that Dan Putnam sent you or something like that - I've already told him some of the IC folks might be into this. Be sure you reference KQ, otherwise he'll think you're just randomly talking to him. :D

The email list isn't a requirement, but it will help with preparation a lot and give you a much better idea of what this is about.

By the way, there's a little confusion about the apartment thing - we're not headquartered anywhere near my apartment. There's essentially nothing you can do from my apartment, it's really just a place to crash and relax for a break (this thing goes 26 hours, after all)!
    edited February 2010
    Not a lot of overwhelming excitement for this, so this will probably be the last post - since it has important info.

I just got this email in my inbox. If you're on for KQ and you didn't, then email rattle.b@gmail.com.

"
    Hello again Mustaches!

KQ is getting closer every day, oooo the anticipation. Things are rolling and we have come to our next task. KQ requires that all members of the team pre-register before the event. To do this, follow this link: [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://tinyurl.com/<wbr>KQpreregister and follow the instructions. Our team name is I Mustache You A Question, if you forgot. YOU NEED TO DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN GOOGLING FOR THE TEAM. It's very easy and simple. The day before or of the event, you will need to go down to KQ and sign in, but that will come so don't worry about it right now. Just please pre-register. Keep a sharp eye on your e-mails.[/FONT]

Benny Danger"