PC Switching off randomly

MathsParMathsPar New
edited January 2010 in Hardware
My PC is switching off randomly, I'm pretty sure it's not a Software issue as it happened with Windows XP and my new fresh install of Windows 7.

I've got a theory it might be something to do with the processor as when I moved the PC from the living room to the bedroom the fan over the processor came loose. Do you think the processor overheating could be a probable cause?

I've downloaded 'Speedfan' to keep an eye on the temp. What sort of temperature should it be at? The core seems to hang around 53C. If it is getting too hot I'll have a look to see if the heatsink or anything around the processor is damaged.

Fairly sure it isn't a power supply issue as I bought my PSU 3 years ago but it's of good quality.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    If the core is hanging at 53C idle, it's about 5 degrees away from the maximum safe temperature for a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad or Phenom II at maximum processor load.
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited January 2010
    That's probably it then, it's Core 2 Duo and at 53C with pretty much nothing loaded up apart from Firefox. I'll open it up later and have a look, cheers!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    MathsPar wrote:
    My PC is switching off randomly, I'm pretty sure it's not a Software issue as it happened with Windows XP and my new fresh install of Windows 7.

I've got a theory it might be something to do with the processor as when I moved the PC from the living room to the bedroom the fan over the processor came loose. Do you think the processor overheating could be a probable cause?

I've downloaded 'Speedfan' to keep an eye on the temp. What sort of temperature should it be at? The core seems to hang around 53C. If it is getting too hot I'll have a look to see if the heatsink or anything around the processor is damaged.

Fairly sure it isn't a power supply issue as I bought my PSU 3 years ago but it's of good quality.

Assuming you originally installed the heat sink by removing the standard heat pad (if there was one) and applying paste, my experience with thermal paste is it all breaks down eventually. I think its just as well to take the heat sink off, clean the base and the processor heat spreader with some 90+% alcohol, re apply a nice thin layer of paste and see how you fare.