FSB an GPU

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited January 2010 in Hardware
I have OCed my CPU and it seems stable so I have now started looking at my GPU. I am using FurMark to stress test the gpu and GPU-Z to monitor temperatures. Whilst running my GPU Temp goes up to about 75C but the fan is only running at 25%. I am having problems with GPU Driver stopping responding. Will changing the FSB speed affect the GPU?

I am going to try and reset my settings back to stock then try and stress it again.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Changing the FSB won't affect the GPU unless your motherboard cannot lock the PCI Express bus to 100MHz independently of the FSB.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    RichD wrote:
    I have OCed my CPU and it seems stable...

What exactly does this mean? What have you used to stress test the CPU and how long have you let it run? What Thrax posted is correct but if your system is not rock solid stable, FurMark or any other heavy GPU load could cause the driver to fail even with the GPU at stock speeds.

Also, 25% duty cycle when you're at 75C is pretty typical for a modern GPU, especially ATI.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the quick replies. I can lock the PCI-E bus in the BIOS. but FurMark is still killing the driver at stock settings.

I have run CPU-z with Prime95 overnight and no stability issues. I am thinking it could be some sort of compatibility issue between my driver and FurMark. I am downloading 3dMark to see what that does.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2010
    OK Cancel that ATI Tray Tools renderer is also killing it! Not sure why it would do this!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2010
    OK, bit more info. Apparently, according to 3dMark Trial version I cant run a bench mark because my GPU driver does not support DirectX10??? Sounds odd
    edited January 2010
    The Radeon X1950 doesn't support DX10. It is exclusively a DirectX 9 GPU. You'll have to use 3DMark 2006 to benchmark it.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2010
    OK Thanks. That makes sense. However according to DXDiag I have version 11 installed? Could that be causing problems?
    edited January 2010
    DirectX 11 also contains the libraries necessary to run DirectX 10, 9 and 8 programs and video cards. The version of DirectX installed merely indicates the latest version of DirectX and DirectX hardware supported by the OS.