I need a new TV Tuner card, any suggestions?

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Hello all! I am looking for a TV tuner card to put in my PC that works with Windows 7. I have a very old card that I got when I built a new PC at the Microsoft Windows XP MCE system builder roadshow and it doesn't seem to play nice with Windows 7 - 64 Bit. If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear it. I'd prefer to spend around $50 but that's not a set in stone requirement.

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    What I want is a tv tuner card that supports cable card for windows 7. You are now able to install cable cards on any machine with one of the cards, but unfortunately there aren't many on the market and the only ones that are are extremely expensive. Has anyone seen any news on new cable card pc tuner cards?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Several CableCard tuners from all the major vendors are in the works, but they won't be much less than $250 throughout 2010. Most people will get along just fine with a QAM+ATSC tuner like the ATI AIW HD.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    What's a cable card?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    It's a piece of hardware your cable company gives you that allows your hardware to decode their signals. It obviates the need for a set-top box.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Put another way: CableCARDS are necessary to receive programming guides, descramble scrambled channels (usually movie channels) and to receive digital channels.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I see.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited February 2010
    I asked the same question a couple of months back on a different forum - the consensus was that the Hauppauge cards were the only ones known to have a near on 100% record with Win7 64bit. based on this advise I got a 500d I think and installed it just after Christmas, seems to be working fine :)