Help!!! <- Please :)

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Right, I really f***ed up an need help, Im new at all this pc stuff so this was kinda stupid, Anyways..
I was wondering thru bios when i went into the pcu options and changed a speed from 133 to 166 ( I think thats what i have done)
Anyways, I exited an stupidly saved (i was in a rush)
then pc rebooted no it wont start at all, well the pc is running but with no signs of life. please help any info needed i can give any help would be great
inzY.

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    so you mean it does not POST???
    open up your case, and look into your motherboards manual, anmd find the reset CMOS jumper, and then you should beable to start your PC again.
  • edited January 2004
    I have an old PC (the one im on)

I been reading about changing a jumper an it will flash the bios rite?
    which will erase anything in the bios?

thx for your time
    edited January 2004
    it will not FLASH teh bios, it will reset the settings, which one of those you changed to cause the PC not able to POST, after you reset the CMOS, your bios setting will change back to default fail safe setting which will let you psot again.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2004
    Listen to leishi. To expand on his idea:

1) You changed a setting to something your hardware can't handle.

2) Resetting the bios with the jumper will automatically change everything back to very safe (low speed) settings. This will let your computer boot.

3) Once it's running again, you will need to go back into the bios and change some of the settings. Things like date & time. Then, get a clear idea of what your hardware can handle (we can probably help you there) so you can boost the other settings to their optimum point.

Good Luck :wave:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    turn everything off and unplug it first.
    the jumper is usually labled cmos or bios and is near the battery.
    move it from one pair of pins to the other, wait a bit and move it back.
    make sure that everything fires up.
    then re-boot, go into bios and start fixing the settings.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited January 2004
    Don't worry about being "new" to this pc stuff. We all were new once. You've come to the right place and keep on asking questions. :)
  • edited January 2004
    ok now im worried, I went through what you guys said but it made no difference,
    When I boot the pc it fires up an the HD seems to load for afew seconds then stops, the monitor doesnt fire up jus stays idle... seems something worse could be wrong.. :(
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    When you reset did you follow edcentric's instructions to the letter, ie did you pull the plug out of the back of the pc. Just turning of the switch at the back is not good enough, it has to be unplugged. I did that the first time i ever tried to reset the cmos.

Also are you sure that moved the right jumper and then moved it back, again, with the power off and unplugged. A mistake I've made on more than one occasion not moving back the cmos jumper.

If you have done everything right then you may have to remove the cmos battery and let rest for a while so that it totally resets itself.

The only other thing I would say is not to panic, its very unlikely you've done permanent damage and there is plenty of folks here with a wealth of knowledge who will be able to help you out.

Regards

Jim
  • edited January 2004
    Many thx to the replies guys..

Yes I did do the exact things said above, unplugged totally, moved the jumper, moved it back, fought my way through the wires an rebooted.

"If you have done everything right then you may have to remove the cmos battery and let rest for a while so that it totally resets itself"

hehe.. Ok this sounds kinda worrying if not drastic, seems my prayers arent being answered :hrm:

Aagin, thx for your time.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    Well removing the battery is not too drastic just a case of popping it out of its holder. The reason I suggest this is that motherboards can retain some of their their setting even after resetting the cmos due to the capacitors holding their charge.

Others with more knowledge than me would be able to explain this better.

There may be other things to try though before you do this and I would also suggest that you post the make and model of the motherboard as this will help folks with troubleshooting your problem.
    edited January 2004
    when you move the jumper to the CLEARING CMOS position, did you just it be in that position for like 15seconds or so??
    or did you just move it and move it right back?
  • edited January 2004
    well I left it there about 20/30seconds, repeated it twice.
    Is time an issue? if so how long would it need to be moved for?

Im using an MSI: K7N2 Delta+ nForce2 ultra
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=436

And im running an Athlon 2400

cheers.
  • edited January 2004
    Ok further more to this I took the battery out, left the jumper in a clear position over night ( grabbing at straws )
    Still no POST, So I started swapping parts, I changed my pcu from the Athlon 2400 to an Athlon 2000, And still no POST,
    Then I tried swapping my GF FX5200 for an old MX card and still no POST.
    Finally I was left staring at the RAM, I only have one RAM stick 512ddr but dont have a spare to test it with (doh!)

Anyone have any bright idea's to add? plz! :(

Edit : Tested RAM On Another System An IS Working Fine :S
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    Are you sure its the reset CMOS jumper. Just a shot. From what you say it should work.
  • edited January 2004
    Yep its the right jumper, I even triple checked.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    Have you tried unplugging everything except for the bare min so that the only thing powered up is the vid card, CPU, and RAM. Prolly shooting the breeze here.
  • edited January 2004
    Yep Still not POST'ing :(
  • edited January 2004
    Also, just tested with another PSU and that is fine ( still grabbing at straws )
    so im reluctant to say seems as tho my mobo is buggered?
    anyone wanna save me? :(
  • edited January 2004
    Ok.. well, this is kinda weird but im happy bout it, I got my pc to POST finnaly
    I did alot of research on the MSI forums and after reading about 900posts it seems there is a known problem with my motherboard MSI:K7N2 Delta,

Well i'll paste what the guy said,
    Also I wold like to add, on the K7N2 Delta, resetting the bios will NOT reset the bus/fsb to default, so if you were unfortunate like me, and overclocked the FSB to high, and the computer refuses to boot, you need to move another jumper, that enables the motherboard's "Safe Mode" .

I belived that my mother board was broken/faulty and was about to RMA it, since I coldnt find a reffrence to this jumper in the manual that shipped out with my board ..

After three long days with a dead motherboard, I had done just about everything i could think off..

I only found the solution by chanse when I read a Review of the mother board....

Iv'e later seen others here on the forum with the same problem.

Some actually RAM'ed their motherboard....

This is the J10jumper, which will set the fsb to 100 mhz when in safe mode.. short pins 2-3 and "user settings"(default) if you short pins 1-2.

The "safe mode" jumper is placed just behind the USB connectors on the mother board.

Now all thats left to do is set up bios again... ehum ill be back soon ;)

Many thanks to all for the help. You guys been great! :)

Cheers, inzY
  • pcscustompcscustom Oklahoma
    edited January 2004
    Yes, I have seen this on some biostar boards.. Kinda a neat feature. It has kept me out of the doghouse when building customers comps quite a few times.. But in you opinon if you over clock a amd jus a lil say 200mhz and still advertise it as a 2500, (of course to smash the competitions 2500's) think that is ok? hehe anyway im out

Trev
  • edited July 2004
    can somone plz help me...i have the same mobo as inzy and did the exact same thing....i tried clearing cmos.........takin out battery for 24hour and no sign of post still......anyone?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Did you find the J10 Jumper and move it? It seems that there are two jumpers to adjust cmos settings for that board. The "obvious" one doesn't do the (whole) trick all by itself.

One other suggestion: You might want to start a new thread with a more descriptive title. Lot's of people who might be able to help are going to see 20+ posts in an old thread and give up. :)
  • edited July 2004
    yea i tried the j10 and j11 jumper and still no post........k i make new thread thx : )
  • sensationsensation Guyana
    edited May 2006
    inzY wrote:
    Ok.. well, this is kinda weird but im happy bout it, I got my pc to POST finnaly
    I did alot of research on the MSI forums and after reading about 900posts it seems there is a known problem with my motherboard MSI:K7N2 Delta,

Well i'll paste what the guy said,

Now all thats left to do is set up bios again... ehum ill be back soon ;)

Many thanks to all for the help. You guys been great! :)

Cheers, inzY

Hi, I tried all the things you tried (board doesn't have a j10 jumper)...still no action..any help...any body???
  • sensationsensation Guyana
    edited May 2006
    lvcxfuzzy wrote:
    yea i tried the j10 and j11 jumper and still no post........k i make new thread thx : )
    can u please provide a link to you new post...not seeing any
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    This is an old thread, but here's the thread he started: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17501