Computer Dumb and in need of help

jerrygottagojerrygottago Callahan Fl.
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Hi Folks
I've got a dell 2400 Demision it came with a 40 GB hard drive and then they sent me a 80 GB hard drive which they walked me through the setup of. Now the 80 died and I've put the 40 back in to operate. Now I'm looking to buy a new hard drive to install. And I know I'll have enough questions to write a book on. But before I buy a new hard drive are the any suggestion on how I should procede. You can include spelling corrections if you must. But I'm more interested in what to do with my computer. While I'm doing this I want to upgrade the memory I have a 512 mg 1gb installed. Ok thank in advance Jerry

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    Hi Jerry,

Welcome to IC. I assmue that when Dell sent you your 80GB disk that you removed your old disk and replaced it with the 80GB? The problem you will will have relates to you operating system (Windows). Your copy of windows was probably installed on the drive that Dell sent to you. If you dont have a windows disk you will have no way of installing windows after you take you 40GB disk out.

That said there is no reason why you cant have more than one hard disk installed and running at a time. I have three separate disks in my rig at home. The easiest thing you could do is to install a second slave hard disk to run along side your existing one. You can then use the second disk to save all your files and the first disk to house your operating system and programmes.

Installing RAM is easy. The hardest part is buying the right memory for your system. This should do fine. You simply take out your old RAM card and replace it with this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141429
    In theory the two should work together assuming your motherboard has two RAM sockets. You can try both and see how you go.

As far as hard disks go you would need to tell us how much you want to spend? There are thousands of options in various sizes and differing prices. In theory any of these drives should fit your system.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%201035907789&name=IDE%20Ultra%20ATA100

One piece of advice. You can buy all the parts at once or separately but when it comes to installing them, install one then power up the system and make sure it works before installing the next component. There is nothing more anying than changing two or three components and finding that something doesn't work and you dont know which component is causing problems.

Rich