DFI Post code 88

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
I posted on the DFI support forum, but in case any of my Icrontic friends have any experience with DFI boards throwing a post code 88? Specificly a 790FXB-M2RSH

I'm having a difficult time with the prefixed motherboard. Its worked fine for months, just loading the system defaults. Recently it started to error, and an occasional bios reset would get the board to post, but not it repetedly shows error code 88. I've cleared the bios, I've taken the battery out for a day, and still, error 88.

I have also tried several combinations of RAM, a single stick, two sticks, switching sticks, no luck. I have re connected all power connections, no luck. I'm at wits end.

I run a Phenom II quad, 965, but I do not overclock it, I run it stock, along with my graphics card a Radeon 5870, once again, 100% stock, nothing fancy going on in the settings, its run fine that way for months. Am I out of luck, do I just need to RMA it?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Remove the CPU from the socket, power on the board, let it beep a couple times.

Now put it back together and see if symptoms change.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I've never heard of that ryder, what does that do?
    edited February 2010
    There really is no "what it does". I have just had good luck with both Intel and AMD based systems, if the bios is causing the issue, sometimes this "slaps it around a bit" if you get what I mean.

Probably more like "voodoo" as some would call it, but I have had the method recover a board where the bios has basically become corrupted.

If you get the board to boot, I recommend a bios flash (from DOS, not using some Windows flasher).
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I have the same DFI board and I always get "88" after attempting to tweak my RAM timings and pushing it too far. I think its a general code for something not working correctly. Generally mine works after a bios reset or two though :-/
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I too have the same board. The one time I got the 88 error code was when I first installed my HD 4850. Turned out that the board had some issues with the 4800 series, but resetting the bios fixed it for me, haven't had the issue since.
    edited February 2010
    Also Cliff,

When you take out the battery are you unplugging the PSU, pushing the power button once or twice to drain the caps, and moving the CMOS jumper to clear, then letting it sit?

After you do that, before you put the battery back in, use the edge of the battery to short the 2 battery terminals for about 1 min.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Also Cliff,

When you take out the battery are you unplugging the PSU, pushing the power button once or twice to drain the caps, and moving the CMOS jumper to clear, then letting it sit?

After you do that, before you put the battery back in, use the edge of the battery to short the 2 battery terminals for about 1 min.

I've tried everything listed here, no luck I'm afraid.

I got an RMA # from DFI, very friendly, with a little luck I'll be back in action in a couple weeks. Its not like I don't have another PC laying around, but damn, I miss my gaming system when its down.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.
    edited February 2010
    Might not be the best place for this, but its kind of connected.

Okay, so this board is in RMA and I think I'm going to loose my mind waiting for everything to come back.

I was considering a 785 G for another build anyway, so here is the deal, I'm running windows 7 64 bit pro, if I pop all my hardware on a 785 G board vs. the 790FX I was installed on, will my system freak out? Do we suppose it will boot okay?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Vista and 7 have both handled full-system swaps for me personally - chipset, processor, memory, graphics, everything. It detects stuff has changed, boots to install drivers, reboots, and you're right as rain. It's the easiest thing I've ever done.
    edited February 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Vista and 7 have both handled full-system swaps for me personally - chipset, processor, memory, graphics, everything. It detects stuff has changed, boots to install drivers, reboots, and you're right as rain. It's the easiest thing I've ever done.

Outstanding, I was hoping you would say that.

Thanks.