Motherboard problem?

edited February 2010 in Hardware
Hello, I'm not a computer geek by no means, but am looking for info.
My desktop computer had a serious problem over the weekend. I had it on when I heard a metal snap sound so looking thru the clear side panel, I saw the CPU had came loose and was hanging. I shut it down quickly! Upon opening up the puter I saw that the Plastic hooks that the CPU clips latch onto had broken off. 3 of them. Being an older puter, I guess the stress caused it, anyway I went and bought a new holder for 3 dollars and installed it and set the CPU back on all secure and started the puter. Yep, nothing! Nothing on screen and nothing loading, just the puter running. Someone told me that when the CPU came off, being that the puter was on, that something shorted out. Mabye the processer or the Mother board? Does anyone have some commets on thhis subject?
Tks.

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    I doubt the CPU its self has come off. I expect that the clip that snapped is the clip that holds the heatsink onto the CPU. I have never heard of one breaking of its own accord as there are no moving parts. If the Heatsink has fallen off the it will have probably toasted your CPU. This can happen in seconds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0sGugsv28&feature=related

Im not sure I believe the second one but you get the point.
  • edited February 2010
    Tks, RichD. Yea your right, the Heatsink popped off and I kinda figured something got toasted. The plastic catch's that hold the Heatsink unit on the CPU broke, I guess from stress and heat and stuff over the years, being I built the puter in 04. It only took seconds, too.....So, now looking for a motherboard/processer combo..
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    Oh Boy, new stuff!! Often wondered just how strong intel hook and loop design is/was. Best
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    you may be able to get a replacement CPU off ebay or somewhere similar if you dont want to buy the full guts.