phenom II 545 overclock/unlock

13»

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Nope. Cant see files that are still on your computer. You'll have to submit it to Photobucket or Flickr or some other free image hosting service and link it from there. Try again please.
  • edited March 2010
    cpuz1.png
  • edited March 2010
    sorry about that lol
  • edited March 2010
    I started to freeze at 225fsb and turned it down to 220 and still. rebooted and it started to show x3 cores and still wonted boot. i think my cores started to fail. im back on x2. cant find what the problem was.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't think your cpu is breaking apart. Take a deep breath and maybe a couple of days break and read a little more. Then restart. You will do it. :)

Don't give up. See, I just ordered another Phenom II X2 (550 this time) along with an ASUS M4A77D. I am getting addicted:eek3:
  • edited March 2010
    I think i should be happy with just the unlocks and maybe 3.2ghz.
    Next thing i want to maybe bump is the ram. dd3 1600 9-9-9-24. 1.5v.
    where should i start?
    I was thinking turn it down to 1400s and work on the timings?
    and work with the HT?
  • edited March 2010
    ya those crashes really freaked me out.
  • edited March 2010
    I am not sure what speed options are there for DDR3 in your BIOS. Do the followings first before starting to overclock the CPU. I think I will repeat myself but anyway.
    - Since you have DDR3-1600 RAM, I would set the Memclock value one or two steps below 1066 (or 533). You can increase again after you are done with CPU overclock.
    - Set the specified memory voltage for your RAM.
    - Also decrease your NB multiplier to 6X (this should decrease your HT as well if you leave HT at auto. Check with CPU-Z),
    - set your vcore close to 1.35, and
    - start gradually increasing your CPU frequency by increasing your reference clock.

Follow the procedure I have written above while checking stability and temperature.
  • edited March 2010
    Do you know anything about AMD OverDrive program? And if good to use?
  • edited March 2010
    Sorry, never tried. I only overclock through BIOS.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Do you know anything about AMD OverDrive program? And if good to use?

Overdrive is pretty fantastic.
  • edited March 2010
    mirage wrote:
    I just ordered another Phenom II X2 (550 this time) along with an ASUS M4A77D. I am getting addicted:eek3:

PII-550 (C3 revision, non BE) unlocked to an X3. The fourth core is not stable under any voltage so far. Overclocking is stable at 3.72 GHz. I just wanted to post this without any more detail to show an example that not every Phenom II X2 unlocks completely to a quad core. I am still happy that I could upgrade my PD-805 Linux workstation to a Phenom-II X3.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited March 2010
    mirage wrote:
    PII-550 (C3 revision, non BE) unlocked to an X3. The fourth core is not stable under any voltage so far. Overclocking is stable at 3.72 GHz. I just wanted to post this without any more detail to show an example that not every Phenom II X2 unlocks completely to a quad core. I am still happy that I could upgrade my PD-805 Linux workstation to a Phenom-II X3.

Good approach!! I can't believe the number of people I've encountered that have RMA'ed mobos and procs just because they didn't unlock some or all of the cores! :rolleyes:

Need to watch myself as you stated this stuff can be really addictive!! For me the debate is if I want to take a chance on a 555BE or just go ahead and get the 955BE. :wink:

@ TacticalFlow.....have you started a thread with your further adventures?? :bigggrin:

<!-- member.php?u=47198 -->
  • edited March 2010
    jedihobbit wrote:
    Good approach!! I can't believe the number of people I've encountered that have RMA'ed mobos and procs just because they didn't unlock some or all of the cores! :rolleyes:

Need to watch myself as you stated this stuff can be really addictive!! For me the debate is if I want to take a chance on a 555BE or just go ahead and get the 955BE. :wink:

@ TacticalFlow.....have you started a thread with your further adventures?? :bigggrin:

<!-- member.php?u=47198 -->

I must say I had a lot of fun with X2s. But If it is for your main computer, just go with 955BE since the price difference is so small.
  • edited March 2010
    Ya i did. I was just asking for help with ram but got no response. Well so far i been pretty solid with this build. Cpu gets around 45c underload. So i think thats a good spot. I can link my cpuz specs and maybe you guys can give any further advice.
  • edited March 2010
    Ya i did. I was just asking for help with ram but got no response. Well so far i been pretty solid with this build. Cpu gets around 45c underload. So i think thats a good spot. I can link my cpuz specs and maybe you guys can give any further advice.

I think your memory is running fast enough at 1200. Did you try higher CPU overclock with lower NB/HT speed. What is your VDDNB Over Voltage setting? I am asking because if you have not tried lower NB/HT frequencies, your CPU overclock might be limited by the NB/HT frequencies or VDDNB voltage.
  • edited March 2010
    Whats good NB/HT speeds to try and VDDNB voltage?
    I have not tried changing either of them.
    CPU is already at 45c under load so i dont know...
  • edited March 2010
    Whats good NB/HT speeds to try and VDDNB voltage?
    I have not tried changing either of them.
    CPU is already at 45c under load so i dont know...

Please look back in this thread for Ryder's post (26 Feb 2010 2:13pm) on VDDNB. Based on his recommendation, I used 1.2v and it worked excellent for my processor. But overclocking is different for every processor.

For starters, I would not touch VDDNB. Set CPU/NB frequency to 6x and Mem clock value to 400 or 533 for now, I think you had DDR3-1600 memory so 400/533 is less than 800 (1600/2). Then, apply the CPU overclocking procedure as I posted on 10 Mar 2010 5:06pm.

After the CPU overclock is complete. Set VDDNB to 1.2v and start increasing the CPU/NB frequency one step at a time while monitoring the stability.

After NB overclock is done. Set the RAM voltage to its specified value for your modules and maybe one notch above. Start increasing the Mem clock value one step at a time while monitoring the stability. You can also tweak the memory timings after this, if you want. I did not do that.

I think you are done with overclocking after all these.

See my posts again how I tested stability. You can do the same (intelburn test) or use some other program if you prefer. Have fun!
  • edited April 2010
    Hi just wondering if someone can help me with unlocking the phenom II 545. Whenever i apply all the ACC settings, EC firmware etc, my computer wont go into post for about 10 seconds and when it does it has turned off ACC all by itself???
  • edited April 2010
    ginja117 wrote:
    Hi just wondering if someone can help me with unlocking the phenom II 545. Whenever i apply all the ACC settings, EC firmware etc, my computer wont go into post for about 10 seconds and when it does it has turned off ACC all by itself???

This sounds like overclock protection of your BIOS; it is resetting the BIOS after the computer is not able to post. This is for your convenience, otherwise you will need to reset the BIOS manually using jumper/switch on the motherboard. I think your 545 is not unlocking successfully. I would try to increase vcore to 1.4v. You can reduce gradually while testing stability if you see the 4-core unlock working. If unlock is still not successful with increased vcore, try unlocking 3 cores. What is your motherboard? Does it support unlocking 3 cores?
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    What is your motherboard? Does it support unlocking 3 cores?

List your systems "total" specs as that will be a help. Also you could start your own thread to have your insure in front of everyone and get undivided attention.

BTW pay attention to mirage, he is very helpful! :wink:
  • edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    This sounds like overclock protection of your BIOS; it is resetting the BIOS after the computer is not able to post. This is for your convenience, otherwise you will need to reset the BIOS manually using jumper/switch on the motherboard. I think your 545 is not unlocking successfully. I would try to increase vcore to 1.4v. You can reduce gradually while testing stability if you see the 4-core unlock working. If unlock is still not successful with increased vcore, try unlocking 3 cores. What is your motherboard? Does it support unlocking 3 cores?

i have tried the vcore at different settings but it still wont post, my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H and i think it does support tri-unlocking but the computer wont post with the settings needed to try the triple core set.

My specs are

x2 545
    2gb ocz platinum pc2-6400
    seagate barracuda 320gb SATA
    palit 9600gt (stock 9600gt clocks)
    enermax tomahawk 405w
    1x dvd-rw
    2x LED fan 1x 120mm, 1x 80mm
  • edited April 2010
    First let me state again for the record that unlocking a Phenom II X2 is not guaranteed.

If you have increased vcore to 1.4v and enabled ACC+unlocking 4 cores and the computer did not post, your 545 must have one or two faulty cores that can not unlock to quad-core.

You can still try unlocking three cores. There should be two options in the BIOS something like 0-1-2 and 0-1-3. Try those options one by one while keeping vcore at 1.4. If the computer does not post with those options again, this means that your 545 is not unlocking any of the disabled core.