ipod problems with win98

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited December 2004 in Internet & Media
hmmm....does anyone know of software for the ipod that willk work withwin98?? itll win mesum brownie points with my new gf (we all remember the teddy???)

Comments

• edited January 2004
    Get her WinXP Home. Chicks dig random gifts, her computer will be more stable than ever before, AND you'll get her iPod working.

You'll get lucky for sure!
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited January 2004
    Buy a version of Windows XP Professional if you don't already have a version laying around.

And I mean legitimately buy it :) For real :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    btw.the.spacebar.is.broken.on.this.comp.so.plz.excuse.the.dots.lol.......anyways..thats.a.no.go.with.the.xp.because.she.has.a.small.hd.according.to.her dad...so.ne.other.suggestions
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    after a quick google, it seems it'll only work in '98 with usb2/firewire.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    In other words, 98 SE is best fix, which has the USB subpacks needed for a firewire or USB2 PCI card to be installed. this actually makes sense, the ipod is too fast fro an okder box with stock 98, so in that case I would use a PCI card, possibly an Adaptec card. The included drivers for those are usable on older operating systems reasonably well.

Try using LEFT thumb on space bar, some have TWO keyswitches.... One side dies, use OTHER side.... And my PS2 IBM keyboard actually has two, for example.... Space bar ROCKS, literally, left or right.... :D

John.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    hm,mm..sounds good....however i believe that they already have a firewire card installed, they just cant get the transfer thing to work...ne more suggestions..i took the face off the keyboard, it has a center buttom and thats all... it sucks...but im on my main rig now (which ppl were playing gunbound on not too long ago)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited January 2004
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    btw.the.spacebar.is.broken.on.this.comp.so.plz.excuse.the.dots.lol.......anyways..thats.a.no.go.with.the.xp.because.she.has.a.small.hd.according.to.her dad...so.ne.other.suggestions

Umm, how small? Microsoft recommends 1 GB free space for XP. Win98 uses anywhere from 225 to 500, depending on drivers, etc.

If she has so little drive space, I hope she doesn't plan to store much music on there for her Ipod...

If her HD is that small, maybe the best thing you can do is get her a new HD, and Windows XP. That will solve all kinds of problems.

Dexter...
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited January 2004
    I was reading that if you use the latest firewire drivers from MS, your ipod should work. Is she running 98SE?

Have you looked at this site?

Ipod 2.01 updater for Win98 Users

or this software (it has a trial download).

xplay
  • ohmohm
    edited December 2004
    There's a webpage devoted to using iPods under Windows 98.

http://www.98-drivers.com/ipod.html

Shortly:
    - it is possible to use Windows 98 with iPod
    - both Windows 98 and 98 SE are capable of doing that
    - you can use USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and FireWire