no good

edited February 2010 in Hardware
My daughter drumped a bottle of water under my laptop, before I even knew what she had done i noticed the screen was white, i unplugged the charger and removed the battery...dried it off and tried to turn it back on, no luck...uhg so I went out and got a new computer, i wan to know how to get all my pictures off my hard drive..any ideas would help
thanks

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    You'll have to remove the hard drive from your laptop and get an external drive enclosure for 2.5 laptop drives and make sure it matches the same kind of drive that's in your laptop ide or sata. Alternatively you can get a larger drive enclosure and then an adapter. Cost wise you are in it for about $50 for that type of setup.

If you give us the exact make/model for your laptop we can give you more specific information.
    But typically to remove the hard drive there will be a plastic cover with a set screw, you remove that and the harddrive should pull out. Then we can worry about the connectors and the type of enclosure you need.
  • edited February 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    You'll have to remove the hard drive from your laptop and get an external drive enclosure for 2.5 laptop drives and make sure it matches the same kind of drive that's in your laptop ide or sata. Alternatively you can get a larger drive enclosure and then an adapter. Cost wise you are in it for about $50 for that type of setup.

If you give us the exact make/model for your laptop we can give you more specific information.
    But typically to remove the hard drive there will be a plastic cover with a set screw, you remove that and the harddrive should pull out. Then we can worry about the connectors and the type of enclosure you need.

Laptop was is a dell 1525
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    Perfect. So for an enclosure you need an external 2.5" sata drive enclusure Like this one Almost every computer store or Big Electronic store (like Best Buy) will carry them.

As for how to remove the harddrive from it These are the instructions

You then place that drive in the enclosure and connect it to your new computer through usb. It will pop up on the screen and you can scan through and recover any files you want.

What I can't guarantee you is if the drive will be any good, it's possible that the water may have damaged the drive. However based on the events you described that is highly unlikely. Unfortunately there's no real way to find out other then to try it in an enclosure like this. The good news is worse case you are only out $40 or so.