A Reason To Like Zalman

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited February 2010 in Hardware
I have many reasons for liking Zalman coolers like quality, efficiency, “bling”, etc. However one of the nicest is the modularity of the HSFs…………. If you can find a source for parts (like I have) you can change out fans, mounting brackets, and the like.

As my example……..I have a CNPS-7000-CU LED from a prior build (Biostar 939-6100) that had the LED die and for whatever reason I only had the 939 mounting hardware. Had ordered the replacement fan but never got around to swapping it out. Now I’ve found a use for it in an AM2 build. Lucked out as I had ordered the wrong replacement mounting clip for another HSF but would work here. So using pictures I’ll demonstrate how easy it is to change out and convert the unit.
<O:p
We start out with the “ancient” original 7000, replacement fan, and mounting clip. Along with a closer look at the 939 mounting clip…….
AssyNewParts.jpgCNPS7000939Brkt.jpg
The fan and mounting clip are attached on and in a u shaped bracket that is held to the sink body by two screws. As you can see it comes apart rather easily.
<O:p></O:p>
Fan-BrktMtgScrew.jpgOldFan-MtgBktSink.jpg
It was good that I needed to replace the fan as the only way to exchange the mounting clip was to take the fan off the u-shaped bracket. First remove the two mounting screws and you end up with the three pieces.
MtgScrewsforFan.jpgOldFanBktParts.jpg
Then put the new mounting clip into the bracket and screw the new fan back in place. Pay close attention to the orientation of the fan power “cable” to make sure you can clamp the wires.
NewFanMtgBkt.jpgFanWiresOrientation.jpg
And there you have it an AM2 CNPS7000. Total time invested was approximately 15 minutes! Of course if you’ve bought one recently the works done for you! :D
AM27000.jpg
Just a small bit of info…..basically all of the non heatpipe coolers will take the same AM2 – AM2+ clip whereas all the heatpipe types can use the same clip.

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Let me tell ya, after wrestling with a stubborn backplate assembly on a Coolermaster Hyper N520, I am without a doubt considering just getting a plain ole sink with a standard AM2/AM3 retention clip. Its a good design, its better than screws, and I wish heatsink makers would universal implement it. I was strongly considering a similar Zalman model but was a little concerned about performance. I'm not looking to overclock heavily, but I do want a reliably decent load temp. How has that old cooler been treating you? What CPU are you cooling with it?
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    Here we getting into action.......... :wink:

Mobo: Abit NF-M2 nView
    CPU: AMD Opteron 1210 @ 3.1GHz
    Vcore: Bios = 1.45v CPU-Z Load = 1.488v
    Case: HighSpeed Tech Station (Heavily Modded)
    Thermal Paste: AC’s MX-2

When I first set the test up this morning I was concerned when “Idle” appeared to be in the low 50sC. Then noticed that there was a load, turns out the with ATI GPU folding uses CPU clocks also so had to be paused.
    Initial overclocking was done using an older AMD Opteron “heatpipe” HSF with a Tt Smart Fan2 (80mm). Temps were mid to low 30sC at idle and mid 50sC at load. However the Tt fan was only cooling the CPU and the NB and Mosfets passive sinks had those up in the low 60sC. So I ended up laying a 120mm on the setup to keep them cool.
    BHrDxv42.jpg
    Here we are getting the CNPS mounted and then running on the Tech Sta.
    7000InPlace.jpgOnTechStationRunning1.jpg
    One concern I do have is the fact that “next time” I may try to remove some of the angle in the mounting clip. It required a bit more pressure than I like to use especially when the 7000 “rocked” on me a couple of times while trying to get the clamps at both ends to engage. That movement can ruin with the applied thermal paste.
    To measure temperatures I used HWMon, CoreTemp, and SpeedFan. Idle was view after 15 to twenty minutes of just sitting. Load was derived from doing a 16M run of Hyper Pi. Idle temps seemed to level out after turning off the GPU folding around the low to mid 30sC which I think is a wee bit higher than I would have wanted. However under load the 7000 kept the proc in the mid 50cC which matches the AMD cooler…..but a lot quieter! The BIG disappoint and the reason for swapping out the HSFs in the first place was hope that the 7000’s fan shape could help cool the passive sinks on the NB and Mosfets. Sadly they reached the low 60sC under load. If one doesn’t plan to do heavy overclocking then one should be okay.
    First we have “Idle” and then “Load”. You’ll need to look at CoreTemp’s and HWMon’s high and low temps to get a better feel for what went on. Something I haven’t figured out yet is why there tends to be at least a 5C difference between cores.
    IdleCoreTempwithCNPS7000.jpg16MHPiLoadCoreTempwithCNPS7000.jpg
    <O:p></O:p>
    So in conclusion the CNPS7000 conversion works reasonably well and equals the prior setup but is a lot quieter. However I’m still going to have to consider extra cooling options for the NB and Mosfets. The last time I had this setup running it was being cooled with a CNPS8000 and then a sister setup with the CNPS7500-CU LED (lots & lots of copper!!).
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    By the way jedihobbit,

Love the pics, great illustrations. Very nicely done.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Of course, you could always buy a standard downdraft or tower cooler, where fan replacement is as easy as going to the store. No parts supplier needed, no unique fan designs, and far better performance than any Zalman design.
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Of course, you could always buy a standard downdraft or tower cooler, where fan replacement is as easy as going to the store. No parts supplier needed, no unique fan designs, and far better performance than any Zalman design.

Remember I'm a mATX freak so your design preferences wouldn't work. :wink: :bigggrin:

One of these days I get back to trying a "real" rig!! ;D

@ Cliff_Foster, Thanks for the warm fuzzies! I actually prefer the newer heatpipe styles as the cool better and with larger fans actually work to cool NB, Mosfests, and memory somewhat.

LotsofCopper-XE.jpg
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I do love my Zalman. Of course I have a different one than yours. One of the 9700s. It was inexpensive, it's quiet and it does a better job of cooling than any HSF I've used before.

zalman-9700-1.jpg
    edited February 2010
    One of these days I'll build something in a BIG box and be able to use one of that series!!

BTW I did consider a 9500 for one of the earlier MicroFly builds of mine but then I wouldn't be able to remove the mobo tray without taking it off!! :tongue:

9500FromSideSM.jpg9500FromRearSM.jpg