Gmail permanently suspended in Iran

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    A sad day for computer geeks and Google fans in Iran. It will be interesting to see how this will pan out. If I were an Iranian citizen, I would be more than a bit hesitant to accept email services from the government - and in turn, giving them full access to my private information.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Proxies. Same way the geeks in China continue to use GMail
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited February 2010
    Good_Luck_I%27m_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2010
    eww... That sux. A little bit of warning would have been nice. I have a brother and sister over there and both of them use G-mail. It's our preferred mode of communication with the time difference and all.

The satellite dealio has been going on for years. There was even a time when they would go around and take large antenna's that could pick up TV from other countries off of peoples roofs. It goes and comes.
  • edited February 2010
    Proxy is not a solution. How many proxies are there? They can be blocked too. The only solution I see is getting rid of that government/regime.
  • PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    edited February 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Proxy is not a solution. How many proxies are there? They can be blocked too. The only solution I see is getting rid of that government/regime.
    That's what they seem to be afraid of... After all, why else would a government restrict a populace's ability to communicate with each other and the outside world? The more communication roadblocks there are, the harder it is to organize.