How to get second GPU enabled?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
I got a second GPU for my computer, its only job will be to run F@H. No crossfire or anything else. It's a 4850. Main video card is a 4870. I'm going to download the newest F@H and make a copy of it.

Windows XP Home, Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard. It says it supports crossfire, and has a PCI express x-16 and a PCI express x-8 slot. I noticed in the x-8 that the pins only go halfway down the slot.

I downloaded the latest driver (1 copy) from the ATI website, and both cards seem to be in right, but in the ATI catalyst control center it only shows the 4870, and when you click the drop down arrows to see the cards it only shows that one.

In the information center, under graphics hardware, it shows the details for both GPUs, but it lists the 4850 as "disabled".

Why is this, and how do I get it enabled? Does it need to be enabled to run F@H? I'd like to be able to see the temperatures, % usage, and control the fan speed of the 4850 from the ATI CCC if possible. I have an OCZ Game X Stream 700 watt power supply, so that should not be a problem.

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    None of the experts here knows?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Honestly I wish i knew... I have not jumped into the GPU bandwagon of F@H. In that I am sure one of our awesome friends will reply once they see this.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Maybe if you put this in the F@H section instead?
    edited February 2010
    It's more of a hardware question, getting the second GPU to show up in ATI CCC. And be enabled.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/cgi-bin/edit/English/FAQ-ATI#ntoc31

tried this?

(it says you need to boot with a monitor attached, temporarily, to both cards)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    If you are not crossfiring, then you don't need to see anything in CCC.

Do you see 2 cards in the Device manager and show the same driver revision for each?
    edited February 2010
    I got it working, although my primary monitor now only goes up to 1024 by 768 on my 20" 204B, which isn't a problem unless I'm playing WoW, where I use 1600 by 1200.