Editing Quicktime HDV MOV in Windows

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Internet & Media
Our church recently picked up a Canon XH-A1s and Focus FS-5. We're recording to the FS-5 in HDV 1080i, Quicktime MOV format, because that's what I was told to do by the guy in charge of the A/V project.

No less than three different and experienced video editors have told me that the cheapest way I can edit these files on the PC is Premiere Elements. Before I spend any money, however, I wanted to make sure it works, so I downloaded the demo version of Premiere Elements 8. When I attempt to import any one of the recorded HDV Quicktime MOV files, Premiere comes back with an error: "Codec missing or unavailable"

Here's what the Premiere Elements webpage says (emphasis added):
Adobe wrote:
Adobe Premiere Elements supported import/export formats include:

ASF (import only), AVI, AVCHD (import only), SWF (import only), Blu-ray Disc (export only), DV, DVD, Dolby® Digital Stereo, H.264, HDV, JPEG, PNG (import only), PSD (import only), MOD and TOD (JVC Everio, import only), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MP3, WAV, QuickTime, Windows Media, WMA (import only), and 3GP.

Is it possible that Premiere supports HDV and Quicktime but not HDV in Quicktime? I have no problem when I select a non-HDV Quicktime file for import.

All of our video is piling up on the FS-5 recorder, and as of yet we've been unable to edit anything and publish to DVD.

How can I get this working? I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Try installing the QuickTime Lite codec. Alternatively, try installing FFDshow.