Looking for input on BD-ROM optical drive

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
I'm looking to buy a bluRay optical drive for my PC. I don't have a PS3, or a TV, and my sound system/display on my PC is better than anything I'll have for a television setup any time soon.

I'm not very particular on the specifics, I don't want a BluRay burner, I just want a drive that'll let me watch BDROM disks on my PC.

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136162

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325

I talked to Snarkasm about the LG drive for a little bit, and was all in for it, until I found this LiteOn drive. I really don't need this drive to burn DVDs/CDs as well (like the LG drive does), so I'd happily save the $30 by buying the LiteOn drive. I'm also OK with it being OEM, as I have cabling/software needed for the thing.

The only real question I have are the read speeds. I've had very little BluRay experience, but I do know those disks push a lot of data. The LiteOn drive reads at 4X, while the LG reads at 8X. Is this a difference that I should worry about or not? And is 250ms BDROM access meh, ok, good?

Does the adage 'a drive is still a drive' still apply regardless?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The only reason read speed would matter is if you were transferring information using BDs. If you're just using it to watch movies, even 1x read speed is fine.
  • GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Believe it or not, I just ordered the Lite-On one this morning. I guess I could let you know how it's running once it arrives.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    A drive is a drive these days. Seriously.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That's all what I figured. Going for the LiteOn drive. Thanks all
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    A drive is a drive these days. Seriously.

85% of parts for even the newest optical drives are sourced from the same few companies, and built by an even smaller number of companies, then sold out to a whole ton of OEMs. So yeah, even the 'lower end' drives are pretty much the same thing as the 'higher end' drives these days.
  • GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Incase you were still wondering. I got that Lite-On installed yesterday and it is working great. I'm using it with Power DVD 9 Ultra, and everything looks good.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Likewise. Very happy with the purchase.