DuniganPCass

DuniganDunigan Norfolk, VA Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Yup....thats the name of my brand new PC. I have been talking about building a PC since my freshman year of college...and tonight I dropped a little over $800 in parts...so I best get my shit together and learn how to build one of these things. Or...I could just pay off Lynx with a few beers....yeah...I think I'll go that route.

Anywho....maybe now I can talk all that fancy shmancy lingo like all the other cool kids at Icrontic....or....I can sit in the back and drink beer....yeah...I think I'll take go route.

For all of you who would like to know the specs on this PC...uhhhh...hold on *hands laptop to Lynx and picks up beer

....I deserve better than this. You guys do realize that I've been roommates with Dunigan for the greater part of five... six years. It's been hard, hearing him bitch and moan about wanting to play video games with me, but he can't because all he has is this dumb old Macbook pro. Anyways, specs:

DFI LANParty DK 790FXB-M3H5 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX925WFGIBOX - Retail

OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK - Retail

LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 - OEM

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

InB4 Western Digital sux. 1.5 TB HDD for $99? Count me in.

This is going to be my first AMD build, I'm excited to give it a go. Oh crap, I think Dunigan just read that. I mean, I am completely confident that there will be no installation issues whatsoever. The only exception may be installing the proc. ....err. no. It'll be fine. FFFFFUUUUU---- *runs away*

Welp...now that I have control of the keys again...I look forward to drinking and gaming with you all....hopefully it will be like the game of life...the more you drink the better you get.....errrrr.....wait....uhhh....no.

Wish me luck on my first ever PC build! :D

I <3 Icrontic!!!!

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Dunigan PC ass?

While you are distinctly asinine, there is nothing PC about you, sir.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Doesn't surprise me Lynx would be the one to paste a hideous HTML table into a comment. :hrm:

Who says WD sucks? :wtf:
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Dunigan, thank you for calling your PC "DuniganPCass." Good times, sir, good times.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm
    is not a fan of WD.
    Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    is not a fan of WD.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Lincoln wrote:
    Doesn't surprise me Lynx would be the one to paste a hideous HTML table into a comment. :hrm:

Who says WD sucks? :wtf:
    I am hesitant to purchase their drives, but that's because in the span of one calendar year I had three drives RMA'ed a total of 13 times. In that time the one-year warranties expired on the original drives and WD refused to provide any more replacements. Left a really bad impression on me.

To be fair, that was eight years ago and I'm sure their build quality has improved since then.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That's a pretty god damn big "to be fair."
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I've never had any issues with WD drives, but I knew Snark wouldn't be a fan, so I had to beat him to the punch!

Grimnoc - we were still feeling the effects of Matt Whiteman's visit, which is why that name came about. I'm sure you understand.

Linc - I was feeling generous. Fix't. Don't think I did it because I felt I needed to.... It was simply for the benefit of the viewing public. Or something.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    That's a pretty god damn big "to be fair."
    Well, eight years is a long time to get your quality improved. I did also mention that I'm still pretty hesitant about purchasing them because of that experience.
    edited February 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Grimnoc - we were still feeling the effects of Matt Whiteman's visit, which is why that name came about. I'm sure you understand.

Awesome. We were just speaking of Foxy Pizza Ssa/Ass the other day.
  • edited February 2010
    Foxy Pizza Ssa!
    edited February 2010
    Bitmap? Really? <i>Really?</i>
  • edited February 2010
    Yes. Really.
    edited February 2010
    Yes. Really.
    edited February 2010
    Shame. <b>Shame</b>.
  • edited February 2010
    Shame? Shame?
  • edited February 2010
    Wait, Thrax, did I format that correctly?
    edited February 2010
    Underlines do not typically apply to punctuation. ;)
    edited February 2010
    I LOL'ed but that is not the original Foxy Pizza Ssa.

When I get home, I shall procure this wonderful masterpiece.
    edited February 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I LOL'ed but that is not the original Foxy Pizza Ssa.

When I get home, I shall procure this wonderful masterpiece.

Thank you, because we really do need the original one.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Foxy Pizza Ssa!

Oh my. That made me facepalm. I've seen the original Foxy Pizza "courtesy" of Lynx... and while that your version was indeed laughably awkward it was nowhere near the sheer bodaciousness of classic Foxy Pizza.

Oh and of course: lol furries.
    edited July 2012
    OP Delivers

picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=303
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    erm. ah...

*annes leaves it alone
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Why did this turn into what this turn into?
  • DuniganDunigan Norfolk, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I dont know how I never noticed this before...but Foxy Pizza Ssa kind looks like she is sporting a buldge....just sayin.
    edited February 2010
    omg FoxBridget?!
  • edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Underlines do not typically apply to punctuation. ;)

Touche.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Okay, question here. I hate to sound like I live and die by what others write as customer reviews. But I have to say, the reviews for the motherboard, memory, and the WD drive are all "meh" at best. A good deal of RMA's and failures on the HDD, and a bunch of crap for the other two as well. I understand that a lot of people review as a means of ranting, thus making a skew towards 1-star's... but this is still generally poor considering the hardware I normally see promoted.

Still, it does worry me when issues are reported so often. Generally bad reviews are there for a reason. If a great deal of people are getting lemons, I become very nervous to put faith into a particular product model.

Dunigan and Lynx, would you care to comment on why you picked these regardless of their high amounts of reported issues?
    edited February 2010
    You're worrying about it too much.

The Caviar drives are solid (in my experiences). Plus at that price, it was a no brainer.

OCZ ram. It'll do fine.

The motherboard was Thrax tested, Thrax approved. I've never had issues with DFI boards, and I've found them to be excellent all around.

Again, Newegg has return policies in place for stuff like this. If you have problems, Newegg will take care of it, quickly and efficiently.

Don't fear the reviews, seriously. The only hardware issue I have ever had ever was a gigabyte mobo that died, then the RMA board was bad. And that mobo have great reviews. It's the reality of computer components.
    edited February 2010
    Nobody comments on retailer websites except to complain or say something stupid. All the parts selected are world-class.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Pssh... I comment on NewEgg quite frequently TYVM, and it is rarely to complain OR say something stupid.