New build problem!! Please help!!

dcanthill77dcanthill77 New Jersey
edited February 2010 in Hardware
I have just started to build my first pc and I am already having an issue. I have an AMD Phenom II 2X 550 Black Edition CPU; Asus MOBO; 4GB Corsiar DDR2 Dual channel RAM; 1 TB WD Green SATA HDD; LiteOn DVD writer; 300W PSU.

I installed all the components and plugged it in to config the BIOS but the system won't even turn on. The green LED on the MOBO is lit so I know that the MOBO is getting power but it seems like nothing else is getting power. The LED light on the switch to the case isn't even lighting up. When I push the power button, nothing happens. No fans blowing, no LED light on the power button, no nothing. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be????

I desperately need help!!

Comments

• dcanthill77dcanthill77 New Jersey
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I forgot to ask this. Is the button for the on/off switch not compatible with the MOBO or does that mean it could possibly be a broken switch problem??
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Did you connect the front panel jumpers to the motherboard? The power switch needs to attach to specific headers on the motherboard that should be pointed out in the motherboard manual - they'll say things like PWR LED, IDE HDD, RESET SW, PWR SW, etc. You need to connect the power and reset switches, at the very least, to the proper headers on the motherboard before it'll receive the signal to power on.
    edited February 2010
    It is only one plug from the switch that goes to one plug on the MOBO. Is it because the plug from the switch is on an older Compaq Presario 5000 and the mobo is a newer Asus? But that is weird that the plugs match even though they are from different times. The Compaq used to have a Pentium III in it and I was using it for my kids but then I decided to keep the same case and PSU and put new hardware in it.

What do you think it could be since the plugs match??
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I know this is going to seem like a silly question, but: Have you tried flipping the plug over?
    edited February 2010
    I don't think it's a silly question. Although, I've already tried that. The plug is a 20pin connector with two rows of ten (the same as the Pwr, LED, etc. on the MOBO). When I look at the wires on the plug, in comparison to the mobo connector, they don't seem to match up where the pins are on the mobo. I'm thinking that that plug is not compatible with the motherboard but I don't know how to fix the solution without having to order a new chassis and wait forever for it to come.

Not to mention, I don't want to buy a $60-$100 case just to pay $20 shipping. Grrrrr! Do you think it is the switch and how would I fix that problem?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That is the PSU to the mobo, we are talking about the switch on the case where it connects to the motherboard, 2 tiny little wires.
    edited February 2010
    No, on my case it is a 20 pin connector for the power, LED, HDD LED and on the mobo it is also a 20 pin connector for the pwr, LED, HDD LED but not all the pins are on it. The actual pins that are on the mobo are in a specific pattern and the wires that are on the case switch are also in a specific pattern (mind you, they are still both 20 pin compatible) but the wires don't line up with the pins that are there.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I see.

The problem is that you have a proprietary case with front-panel wiring that only matches a proprietary motherboard header. You have two options:

1) Surgically dismantle the wiring to plug it in the way you need to.
    or...
    2) Buy a new case.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    No, on my case it is a 20 pin connector for the power, LED, HDD LED and on the mobo it is also a 20 pin connector for the pwr, LED, HDD LED but not all the pins are on it. The actual pins that are on the mobo are in a specific pattern and the wires that are on the case switch are also in a specific pattern (mind you, they are still both 20 pin compatible) but the wires don't line up with the pins that are there.
    Then that is your problem, yes.

Pull the 2 wires out of the "20pin" that go to the power switch on the case and put them on the proper pins on the mobo. Either that or buy a new case.
    edited February 2010
    Thank you!!! I would rather dissect the wires than spend money on a new case lol. I am cheap and spent most of my money on the hardware that I already have so I'm not going to waste any on a silly problem like that LOL.

Thank you everybody for helping me!!!! If I have any more problems I will definitely get back to you!!
    edited February 2010
    Just to report back to you all, I cut the plug into sections so I could put them on the mobo in the right spot and...It worked!!! LOL

Now, I have to play around and get my windows XP to work on the new system.