Heatsink suggestions

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Okay, so I have an AM2+ mobo, and a Phenom II 940, the 140 watt version, so I need something decent.

I have this coolermaster Hyper N520 and it does a decent job at cooling, its not bad at all, but the mounting system, for the love of god is this thing difficult to mount and work with, I'm not sure I want to wrestle with it again.

Back in the day I had an arctic cooling freezer 64 and it was simple to install with the standard AMD type mounting clip and it cooled my old Athlon 4000+ (san diego) like a dream. They have a PWM version of that available now, and its priced well and I think I might want to replace my current cooler with it, but I'm wondering if it will be adequite for the heat load and perhaps a light over clock.

Whats the community think, anyone have a preference for an easy to install AM2 cooler?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I love my Scythe Ninja. It's an older model, but removal and installation is super easy. Clamp clamp, twist, done.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I love my Scythe Ninja. It's an older model, but removal and installation is super easy. Clamp clamp, twist, done.

Looking at that, it looks like you just replace the standard retention bracket with the Scythe bracket and backplate, then its just clip on, clip off anytime you want to maintenance the CPU?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I don't remember replacing the retention bracket - I think mine uses the stock one. I might have an older model...
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Xigmatech 3 pipe with a silenx 70cfm fan works pretty well, orientation and clearance problems possible
    edited February 2010
    I don't remember replacing the retention bracket - I think mine uses the stock one. I might have an older model...

Yeah, I'm checking it out, looks like there have been a few revisions over the years. I've used Scythe downdraft coolers in the past, great option, low noise, but I used them on applications that were less demanding, the Ninja looks like its pretty hard core though.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    edited February 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Xigmatech 3 pipe with a silenx 70cfm fan works pretty well, orientation and clearance problems possible

I think my case and parts will accept a pretty wide range. I understand the Xigmatch direct touch coolers are pretty damn effective.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    with that fan running full tilt i have a Phenom 9600 that does 40C load and 28C idle, ambient is 75F.