Options

.exes not executing (how ironic!)

Howdy,

a friend of mine has this problem:-

"I can get onto my computer (normal mode) and I can load Firefox (no idea how since no other .exe file works). When I try to command prompt cope regedit it won't work. My computer hates me."

I suspect that their .dll files are corrupted, but i could be wrong, last time i couldn't open .exes it was because a variant of coolweb was destroying my .dlls is all I have to base my judgement on.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Should I guide her down the search and destroy coolweb path or could something else be stopping her from running .exes? Im pretty computer literate so if you can give me a rough idea (Aside from reading hijack this logs) i would appreciate it. Thank you.

Comments

• croc_croc_ New
    edited March 2010
    What version of Windows? XP? Vista?

Is there a dialog box, like a "run with" or "open with" sort of thing? If so it is just a registry problem caused by some malware. Broken file association for "exe". There are some pre-packaged reg-fix's on the intarwebz that can fix it right away. Or you can manually fix the registry entries.

If the computer is running XP, try this: XP REG FIX

If the computer is running Vista, try this: VISTA REG FIX

I just downloaded both file to make sure they were legit and safe.

Hope this helps!
  • edited March 2010
    Hello, it is me that has the problem laptop.

The comp runs Vista. I downloaded the appropriate file from the above links and an error message comes up (as for all programmes) stating "Cannot import <whatever file it is>. Error accessing the registry."

Grrrr!