Goodbye Firefox

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Internet & Media
I have been a faithful Firefox user for years, Around 6 months ago It just started being quirky. Ive done reinstalls and even Installed it on my new laptop. I have tried older versions and even newer ones to figure out why It lags with multiple tabs open and load video Sooo much slower than Chrome. As of 5 min ago I have uninstalled Firefox and now am 100% chrome, and I couldn't be happier. The last 6 months I have used chrome as a backup for when I got pissed at Firefox, And it never served me wrong, so I figured why not go all the way. This after I JUST reinstalled win 7 2 days ago installed a clean Firefox and have had NOTHING but problems once again!! So good by Firefox Hello Chrome <3

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Hmm... I always find it interesting hearing about peoples problems with Firefox these days. My experience has been the polar opposite. Firefox runs better for me these days than it ever has before, with the occasional exception on Linux (but that is due to the fact that I'm 1 - using a beta release of my distro and 2 - FF in the repository came with some bad extensions installed globally). Were you using an old profile GW? What extensions did you have installed? Not that I'm trying to change your mind, just genuinely curious.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited March 2010
    I have very happily moved away from Firefox on Windows and Safari on OS X to Chrome now that it has extensions. Runs fast, fewer crashes and some already really good extensions out there. Speed Dial for instance is far better on Chrome then anything one FF and it's something I use a lot.

Only thing I'm waiting for is a User Agent switcher to get Netflix working happily. You can launch Chrome with a different user agent but nothing that can do it on the fly or on a site-by-site basis.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2010
    Never had a problem with FireFox, works great and has a much higher page compatibility then I find with Chrome.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I haven't looked at Chrome in a while, but last I did, the scroll speed was off the charts and it had no extensions. I'll give it another shot in a while, but I have no problems with the Fox.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Crashes? Due to Firefox? I find that hard to believe.

I have typically 10 tabs open, and never an issue.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    FF 3.6 with very few extensions crashes at least 3 times per week on my main rig. I'm leaning towards blaming one of the extensions, but it's still annoying and I'm of the opinion that an extension should NOT be able to crash the whole browser.
  • edited March 2010
    No problems here too, neither on 5-6 Windows computers, nor a Macbook, nor a couple of Ubuntu workstations. It is probably one of your extensions. And, even without extensions, I would still prefer Firefox to any other browser.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2010
    i have no extensions installed, it has crashed over 10 times on me this week, no joke.
    edited March 2010
    it just crashed twice within the last hour.

Come'ere Google chrome! Its time for a test run.

EDIT: Oh yeah, im running win 7 just like gnomewizardd
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, post here a case of crash that everyone can repeat. I want to try. :rolleyes:
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I have only the haziest notion of what extensions might be, which I guess means I am not running any. I am still using XP Pro on my main rig, and Vista on my laptop. Sorry, Vista came with the laptop and I've been too lazy to change it :o
    edited March 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Okay, post here a case of crash that everyone can repeat. I want to try. :rolleyes:

What do you mean? Are you trying to say a certain website induces the crash, if thats the case just go to all the recent posts i made on here, it was when i was reading something before i posted that it crashed, i tried looking at the firefox crash log to see if it told me the specific website url that it crashed at, but i cant figure out where it might say that.
  • edited March 2010
    Jengo, I can not make Firefox crash. You have superior talents :respect:
    edited March 2010
    The only way I've been able to make Firefox crash recently has been by going to sites with poorly written java on them. That's not Firefox's fault really, that's java being a jerk.
    edited March 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Jengo, I can not make Firefox crash. You have superior talents :respect:

No Talent required, to me it just seems like it randomly crashes. Doesnt matter what website or anything cause its done it on too many sites to count. Chrome runs like a champ tho! I might just keep using it until they release an update to firefox or something. Cause i'll be randomly reading stuff on a site, everything will be loaded, then BAM! just kicks me out with a crash report.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Firefox on my work PC (Windows XP Pro) crashes about once a day. I cannot even remember the last time it crashed at home--I won't say never, but it might as well be.
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    This actually started happening to me as well, nothing had changed with my installation or the state of my computer - I'm a smart web browser, no viruses or anything. For some reason, Firefox just began lagging an INSANE amount with no viable explanation - even when I only had one or two tabs open.

I couldn't explain it, so I tried Chrome and enjoyed the experience - I never disliked Firefox, but given the change in performance Chrome seemed to be a better solution.
    edited March 2010
    Any time in the past that I've had strange random crashes in firefox it was almost always due to profile corruption that had occurred due to too much upgrading. Back up the bookmarks, create a fresh profile, and bang the crashes would stop.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Can't say I remember the last time Firefox crashed on me and I'm currently using 13 add-ons. Even if it does crashes, not all that annoyed since you can open it again and it restores the tabs.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Firefox randomly crashes a few times a week on my work PC, but I have tons of extensions installed and I put it down to them.

I cannot do without FF as I use so many web development extensions and Chrome has a long way to go on that front before it catches up with FF.

~Cyrix