Slipstreaming XP for IDE mobo to SATA hdd

ArthurArthur Caithness
edited April 2010 in Hardware
Hi Folks -
I'm new here so please go easy if I'm out of order:
I posted a question here:
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp/
and no response so figured I'd better register and maybe ask the same question here instead.
My IDE hdd died (at least that's the theory I'm currently working with) and I have a SATA hdd on the way. I plan to slipstream WinXP SP3 using the nLite method outlined in the above mentioned guide (for which, thanks :respect:) and what I'm wondering is: Will I still need SATA drivers for the new hdd if my mobo is only PATA and I'm using an IDE-SATA adapter in the data cable?
Ok, there was another question, but I've done a bit more research and think I've answered it myself, i.e. it would probably be necessary to follow the instruction re .NET Framework to the letter, otherwise nLite probably won't work, right?

Art.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Yes, you will need to slipstream drivers if the hard drive is connected to a SATA port on your motherboard. With regards to .NET, that application must be installed for nLite to work correctly.

Welcome to Icrontic. :)
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    Hi Thrax -
    Thanks for the speedy reply and .NET Framework confirmation (and again for the guide of course).
    Just so I've got this right: mobo has only IDE connectors so I'll be plugging an IDE-SATA adapter into the one currently in use for (?)dead hdd. (The mobo is c.2002 vintage so no great loss if it is the source of my problem but thought I may as well try the hdd route first.) So, in the absence of a native (is this the right word?) SATA port, the mobo will still need SATA drivers even though it is entirely IDE architecture?
    Art.
    edited March 2010
    Ah, I see what you're saying. Disregard my previous comment: If your hard drive is connected to the motherboard with a plain ol' grey, flat IDE ribbon cable, then you will not need to install SATA drivers.
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    Close - the cigar is in the post :)
    Here's the situation as I currently envisage it:
    mobo is GA-7DX rev 4.1 (it's a Gigabyte mobo) with 2 IDE ports and zero SATA ports.
    I've got a SATA hdd and an IDE-SATA adapter on the way.
    Adapter will plug into IDE port where currently resides ribbon cable to (?)dead PATA hdd.
    In the new setup, from adapter to SATA hdd the data cable will be SATA cable.
    I guess you already figured this out and that the ribbon cable turned out to be a red herring (so to speak) and I'm guessing that I still won't need the SATA drivers, but they new-fangled computer gadgets is funny things so I thought I'd better just point this out for Those Who Come After.
    In the same spirit: I wonder if it would do any harm to throw the drivers in anyway? I mean I don't really know if they get used automatically or if I need to intervene at some stage to install them, but whatever the process, would it screw up the OS install given what I'm trying to cobble together?
    edited March 2010
    Am I correct in understanding that you're trying to plug a SATA adapter into the IDE port on a motherboard? If so, this will not work.
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    I must say I did have my doubts.
    This is the adapter:
    http://nexons.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=79&osCsid=t2mpkoap6glp6rmc8kfjldvs43
    Is it that slipstreaming will not work, or that any attempt to format the SATA drive will not work?
    edited March 2010
    Ah, I see that they've built something very crafty. If you see that chip on there, it looks like it will perform the necessary "translations" that will enable you to plug your SATA drive into your IDE-only PC. This is a fascinating little part. :)

Everything should work swimmingly, and you should not need any drivers. :)
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    Hey - why don't I write you a review when it's all up and running!
    Famous last words! :)
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    Yo Thrax -
    So today my SATA hdd finally arrived. Now I'm all set, but .NET 2.0 SP1 won't install.
    Here's the download page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=79bc3b77-e02c-4ad3-aacf-a7633f706ba5&DisplayLang=en
    I get "Setup failed" message and that's it.
    The install logfile (%temp%\dd_dotNETFX20error.txt) is empty.
    Should I go ahead with installing nLite anyway?
    edited March 2010
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    Yes - I see what you mean: I tried to install the SP for an as yet uninstalled .NET 2.0!
    Just to let you know, though, it is the SP1 download that your link
    Step 1A: Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1
    (found here: http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp/)
    takes me to.
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    Sorry - couple more questions:
    1. The MSFT download page for SP3 suggests I get the smaller version (if I'm updating just one computer). Is it perhaps smaller only because it would expect to see previous SPs already installed? I.e. is the big SP3 download comprehensive? I remember I ran into a problem last time as I have a plain XP disc (no SPs) and SP2 needed SP1 before it would install.
    2. I'm downloading with Firefox, so will it be ok to drag and drop the SP3 download file from its default folder to the "custom folder" (P.1 of the guide) or is it better to instruct nLite to look in the Firefox default folder (adding the other three folders there instead also)?

Incidentally, I found this, which you might be interested in:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/3237/microsoft_net_framework_1_1_service_pack_1_cannot_be_successfully_installed

"3. .NET Framework 3.5 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 to be present as prerequisites." (in post from GreenMow)
    As I do have .NET Framework 3.5 I thought I might as well install nLite and so far so good. I figured it would probably prompt me if it didn't find the right runtime environment. Maybe it will yet do this. I'll say here if it does.
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    I've selected "always ask me where to download files" in the Firefox options.
    So that would seem to be question 2. sorted: I'll just select the custom folder.
    As you can see, I'm learning as I go :)
    edited March 2010
    Yes, nLite will prompt you if you don't have the proper runtime installed. If everything is going swimmingly, then you have the right ones loaded. :)

You definitely want the complete download for SP3. It'll be larger than 120MB. This is the only version of SP3 that will work with this article. You can keep the file in any folder you want, but my tutorial instructs people to save it to a specific location for organizational purposes. I can tell people where to look for things if they save it to the places I indicate in the article. :)
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    Thrax - thanks for all your help so far.
    This is where I am:
    BIOS set to Boot from CD ROM, CD ROM, IDE 0
    With my XP SP0 disc in the CD drive I can install the OS
    With the nLite SP3 slipstreamed disc the computer won't progress past
    "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: _"
    I've burned 3 discs so far and I've tried restarting with the disc in first one drive and then the other.
    All I can think of is that somehow the CD is not getting burned as the "Media" window on the direct burn page in nLite remains greyed out and says "CD-R (Empty)" even though I've got a blank writable disc in there and I've entered a label in the "Label" box (in my case it's WXHOCCP_EN").
    I guess I'm missing something but I can't think what.
    edited March 2010
    Can you tell nLite to save the disc as an ISO, and then burn it in another program? :)
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited March 2010
    I tried Nero to burn a bootable CD from the .iso file and still nothing.
    I then tried burning an mp3 file and this didn't work either.
    I've already made sure that writing to disc is enabled for the drive.
    The drive is: tsst corp cd/dvdw sn-s082d
    I don't want to muck it up completely by playing with drivers till I get a bit more info, not to mention confidence, which is ebbing a bit at this stage, especially considering the next bit.
    I thought I may as well try the long way, so:
    My original OS was Win ME which came preinstalled but with a Win XP upgrade CD. I upgraded successfully and some time later I reformatted the hdd. To do that I used the upgrade CD, though I did get help from the Microsoft helpline because the OEM had disobligingly gone bust in the meantime. Now though the setup seems to have changed: after the EULA it asks me for my Win ME CD, which I never had. If this was the bit I got help with over the phone I've forgotten what to do to get round it. Now when I phone they advise getting in touch with the OEM... That aside, though, it looks like any CD I slipstream from my upgrade CD will encounter the same problem.
    So, bit of a double whammy, and of course I didn't think to make a bootable CD from my OS while my old hdd was working. Hmmm... looks like the whizzy new build is going to be my only option.
  • ArthurArthur Caithness
    edited April 2010
    Well, as promised, but a little later than I intended (because it slipped my mind), here is an update.
    My solution was to make a bootable Ubuntu CD and now I have a Linux desktop machine.
    I can recommend the IDE-to-SATA adapter I used as a solution to getting an IDE mobo to take a SATA hdd.
    I did run into a problem at first: my mobo is set to recognize a hdd of maximum 137GB capacity and my new SATA drive is 320GB. This meant that the partitioning did not complete till I restricted the size of the partition I instructed the new OS to create for itself. This is not a problem for me as my hdd useage is not extensive, but there is a better solution, detailed on the Ubuntu forums, which is to create a small bootable partition (say about 100MB) at the start of the drive, then split the rest of the hdd between 1) the large main partition and 2) a swap partition equal to twice the size of your RAM.
    Gigabyte (maker of the GA-7DX mobo) tell me that there is a BIOS update so that the mobo will recognize several terabytes of drive space (yes terabytes) but I haven't gone that route as I don't want to screw up and render my system inoperable - I just don't know enough to tell if I'm likely to do that or not.
    Thank you very much for your help with all this, Thrax. I learned a lot and I'm now appreciating the benefits of Linux.